Roland Rhodes

rvandenbroeck

• Members

yea!!! i actually heard one live and it sounds great!!! at least i heard the b3 patches and it sounded VERY GOOD! VERYGOOd ..

actually I always wanted to askyou about that keyboard Guys , i have never seen it until then.

and if it sounded that great Why there was no more mention of it?

Becuase actually the keyboard player using that keyboard, on the last tour he did with His band had i thinkhe had a doble B# clone the New ones.

and I asked him What happend ? why did you changed,( actually i didnt remember the response right now) but , I was trully surprised how Good it sounded.

• Members

Roland never made an electromechanical keyboard. CBS used to own Fender and Rhodes. When CBS dumped them in 1985, Rhodes ceased production (demand dropped to zero thanks to the DX-7) and Roland snatched up the Rhodes trademark.

Don't be deceived, the only thing "Rhodes" about the keyboard is the trademark.

There was also a "Rhodes" four voice EP; that is just the ARP four voice EP after they went bust, CBS bought the production rights for the piano and slapped the "Rhodes" badge on it, there is nothing similar at all to the classic Rhodes EP.

• Members

I recorded this demo just before selling my VK-1000 a few years ago. Organ and electric piano sounds are from VK-1000, other sounds from JV-1010 and A6.

The organ sounds are not remarkable by todays standards. The electric piano isn't too Rhodes-sounding, but because of Roland's SA-synthesis technique it is very playable.

• Members

That is the VK-1000. I gigged with one for several years in a jazz combo setting.

The organ is OK, the leslie sim less so. The SA Vibes sound is very vivid, similar to the old MKS-20.

The synth sounds are basic and pretty weak.

The Rhodes, on the other hand is fantastic. It is the best, most playable rhodes I have ever owned. The ultra cool topper is - you can tweak the rhodes piano model FROM THE DRAWBARS!!!!

Need a little more ping - pull the top drawbar. Need some midrange body - pull the middle drawbars.

It is a BIG board though - wide and deep.

• Members

Roland never made an electromechanical keyboard. CBS used to own Fender and Rhodes. When CBS dumped them in 1985, Rhodes ceased production (demand dropped to zero thanks to the DX-7) and Roland snatched up the Rhodes trademark.

Don't be deceived, the only thing "Rhodes" about the keyboard is the trademark.

There was also a "Rhodes" four voice EP; that is just the ARP four voice EP after they went bust, CBS bought the production rights for the piano and slapped the "Rhodes" badge on it, there is nothing similar at all to the classic Rhodes EP.

Hello,

When Rhodes purchased the last Arp products they also attempted an instrument (EK-10) which tried to incorporate what seemed like Polaris's architecture onto a traditional epiano platform. Interesting piece here:

http://www.majorkey.com/cgi-bin/EK10.html

Regards,

Lawrence

• Members

i played a VK1K one and really _really_ wanted it.

this was in 1994. my tastes may have changed. i also in the same store wanted to have sex with a JD-800.

despite the fact 13 years have passed both of these keyboards have some degree of pull to me, so i can only encourage you to go for it if you can nail it for 300 bucks or less.

• Members

I used a VK1000 for a long time. As noted, the internal leslie isn't that great, but it's very tweakable. I ran mine thru a real Leslie, and then a Motion Sound Pro3T (my leslie blew up and the Pro3T was nice and portable).

I never cared for the Rhodes much, but it was usable. I midi'd it with a JV880 and would layer the EP's that way. the VK1000 is also a pretty decent midi controller (for it's time).

I think 375 is a good price if it's in good condition.

• Members

When Rhodes purchased the last Arp products they also attempted an instrument (EK-10) which tried to incorporate what seemed like Polaris's architecture onto a traditional epiano platform. Interesting piece here:

If you read the article, you will find that the 1981 production of the EK10 pre-dates the purchase of ARP so the synth section is NOT the Polaris nor does it incorporate any ARP technology.

What a pig that EK-10 must have been. Very few are functioning today.

Archived