Original Clone Theory

companyman

• Members

My first post ! I'm interested in getting some opinions from any fellow EHX freaks about the original Clone Theory pedal . Are the noise issues any worse than any of the other old EHX pdals ? Is this a Howard Davis design ? Will this pedal get me into original Electric Mistress territory ? If not , Are there any mods out there that might get it into this territory ?I have an opportunity to get one of these for $150 , is this a good price , or should I bargain a bit ? It appears in photos to be in clean condition . Thanks for your input !

• Members

I believe the original clone theory (as well as the RI) was a howard davis design

it may be a bit noisy, but Peter Hook of Joy Division and Robin Guthrie of Cocteau Twins didn't seem to mind.

I don't know what the flange setting is like, but I'd guess that it is similar to the Electric Mistress

150 is a decent price- they seem to go between 100-175 on ebay.

I'd hit it, though try to talk him down if you can.

• Members

I have no first hand knowledge, but I've heard people comment that it's about the same thing.

I'm a Peter Hook fan as well. My bass player uses it, and I'm trying to convince him to try the Barge VBjr bypass/blender pedal I lent him, to take care of the low end tone suckage.

• Members

the flange switch doesn't make it sound like a mistress, its not much of a flanger but I prefer that version to the earlier one with the edge switch. It does a great guthrie chorus but I prefer the vibrato setting. I like the bit of noise and hiss, cause the way the noise sits under the vibrato it sounds like a warped disc recording, playing arpeggios sounds like a lofi organ grinder or nickelodeon. great for carnival music.

• Members

naw , man I utilize the DMM to its fullest potential , but want some chorus on occasion with my Graphic fuzz or a touch for that "Animals" era Gilmour type tone for cleaner passages ! I checked out the one demo on youtube and the Clone Theory does sound more metallic sounding than a Small Clone , thats why I thought with a bit of tweaking I might be able to get near the Electric Mistress sound without paying the silly price of the original for an occasional effect .

• Members

There were two versions of the Clone Theory, one had the chorus/flange switch and the other had an "Edge On" switch. I had the edge on version back in the 90's and it was pretty noisy. Personally I think there are a lot of better sounding chorus pedals both vintage and new.

Archived