What effect is Mike Einziger using for this?

formula2fast

• Members

I am trying to get an effect down as my band is covering Vitamin by Incubus.

I am having trouble duplicating the verse of the song. It sounds to me like he is using a delay and a rotary speaker effect with an envelope filter on. I have looked up his pedal board and the only effects on his board that I can imagine being used are his RV-3, DOD envelope filter, and a rotoshere. I have those pedals too along with a few others that he used on his board during those times, and I can not get it to sound right.

Anyone have any ideas or settings that I can work from. it is something that he does live as well with his board so it is not some sort of studio magic. I just have never got a good shot of his board while they are playing to know exactly how he does it.

• Members

He uses a PH-2 for the intro part and in the background of the verses, but the part I am talking about is in the 1st and 2nd verse on top of that phaser part. It kind of sounds like something that would come out of a tremelo but is also like a rotary speaker affect, however at the time he recorded this and they played it live, he did not have a tremelo on his board.

It doesn't start until the singer starts singing. i know it is guitar because he plays that part live and live he also adds a DOD envelope filter. Youtube a live version of the song and it may be more distiguishable. I can't access youtube here at work. when i get a chance at home I will find a version and put a link to it.

• Members

Jeez guys, it's pretty obvious. He has his delay set fast and runs the PH-2 in stage 1 after the delay. He plays the chord staccatto in order to get that "tremolo" sound.

This is correct, althought he might actualy be using his phase 90 in this part. He uses the RV-3 for almost all of the delays in the older songs and it is after both of his ph-2s

Archived