My cab may be ruined

smrz

• Members

Crazy rain/ice storm last night and my friend whose basement my amp was in didn't grab it. There's almost a foot of standing water in there. He pulled it out the next day. I don't know how sensitive speakers are to water damage, but I just got myself a basically new Avatar Contemporary 2x12, and really liked it, and it looked real nice and all. It's finals, so I haven't had a chance to head over and see it for myself. Lame.

• Members

most guitar speakers are made of paper, so yeah they are sensitive to water damage, like hecticone said as long as the cab wasnt summerged they should be fine.

edit: oh wait i just realized that you said the cab was summerged in about one foot of water, so yeah the speakers are definetaly {censored}ed, maybe the cab isnt completely fucled but if that water even touched those speakers they are {censored}ed

good luck with finals and the cab bro

• Members

The responses in this thread astound me with their abject dumbness.

You've got my sympathy. I used to live in a house that had a tendency to do that, but I was so desperate to have a jam space I kept stuff down there anyway. I did put my amps up on chairs just in case, but my bass drum would have been screwed.

• Members

a similar incident happened to a friend of mine... they were subwoofers in his car. turns out, it was when ford was having a glitch in their ignition, which was causing sparks, therefore creating fire. anyway, the firemen came and doused the flames, leaving the sub box about half full of water, and the speakers were soaked as well. basically, he just let the speakers dry out and they sounded fine afterwards. not sure if it'll help your cause, but just maybe a little blurb from someone who knows the score might help. good luck, sorry about your loss, eh.

• Members

got it just now. doesn't look bad externally at all. i'm airing it out for a while with a fan before i open up the back and see what it looks like. i'm almost hoping the speakers are {censored}ed and renter's insurance comes through so I can get something i like better than Vintage 30s (Weber california/Silver Bell combo?). we'll just see.

• Members

The responses in this thread astound me with their abject dumbness.

You've got my sympathy. I used to live in a house that had a tendency to do that, but I was so desperate to have a jam space I kept stuff down there anyway. I did put my amps up on chairs just in case, but my bass drum would have been screwed.

Have you ever actually delt with something like this? If not stfu:cop:

• Members

if the voice coils didn't get wet and you take it apart and place it in front of a de-humidifier for a few days it might be fine.

thanks for the tip. if insurance doesn't come through, i might take a shot at reconing them if the voice coils are still ok but the cones are shot.

• Members

:confused:
You know the guy's house was flooded, as much as it sucks I am sure there were more pressing concerns escalated in the triage.

his basement was flooded, nothing else. the only things of value in the basement that were fragile were the speaker cabs (3 of them :facepalm:) and a drum kit. he didn't have the presence of mind to grab his drums either, but i think they'll be ok. he lost power, and didn't think he was getting it back soon, so he went to a friends house for the night. all of this before the basement flooded. oh well.

worst comes to worst, i sink ~$175 bucks into speakers that will make the cabinet better than it was to begin with. i'm not swimming in money, but, if i pinch, i can afford a couple nice speakers without taking on any debt. so i guess i should just be happy that i can (kind of) afford to do that, and know not to leave fragile things on the basement floor again, unless i'm gonna be there to deal with it.

• Members

the cones might be ok if they get dried before you even think about playing it.... dry the {censored}er out and test it, i think you might get away with it. it really depends how long it's sat damp i guess...

• Members

the cones might be ok if they get dried before you even think about playing it.... dry the {censored}er out and test it, i think you might get away with it. it really depends how long it's sat damp i guess...

yeah...i've got a fan blowing on it now. i'm thinking i'll try playing tomorrow and see what happens.

• Members

his basement was flooded, nothing else. the only things of value in the basement that were fragile were the speaker cabs (3 of them
:facepalm:
) and a drum kit. he didn't have the presence of mind to grab his drums either, but i think they'll be ok. he lost power, and didn't think he was getting it back soon, so he went to a friends house for the night. all of this before the basement flooded. oh well.

worst comes to worst, i sink ~$175 bucks into speakers that will make the cabinet better than it was to begin with. i'm not swimming in money, but, if i pinch, i can afford a couple nice speakers without taking on any debt. so i guess i should just be happy that i can (kind of) afford to do that, and know not to leave fragile things on the basement floor again, unless i'm gonna be there to deal with it.

Yeah I think the worry would be structural property damage and health issues that arise from standing water. I gotta say it sucks for you but really the guy's "presence of mind" appears to have triaged the problem in a reasonable way. He probably didn't think, "{censored} I'm flooded! I better run and rescue Chris's cab." If I were in that situation I would think, "{censored} I'm flooded, I {censored}ing hope there aren't turds floating around down there. Insurance will need to estimate the entirety of this damage."

But yeah, you're friend is a complete jerk. You should get a new one. I keed.

Archived