MIDI Question...

cobalt-60

• Members

Okay, first off, I know *nothing* about MIDI. NOTHING. I have an old Oxygen 8 MIDI Controller, and it has an sustain pedal jack the back. Will I be able to use this to control parameters in Gearbox? Most specifically the delay time setting on the delay, so I can get self-oscillation sounds, and for the wah? If so, will it be easy to figure out?

I imagine the answer is yes, but the ability to do this is pretty important to me, so I want to make sure the answer is yes.

• Members

Whats Gearbox, a multi effects unit? Software?

It's software that comes with Line 6's USB recorder. At least I think it's the recorder, a bunch of stuff comes with it. There's a recorder in there, and I know if you have the Line 6 Keyboard, it will take the expression jack and use it to do the sort of stuff I'm describing.

• Members

It says that the expressions jack only controls the wah and volume on the gear box, but is able to control other expression features in other MIDI devices..

Well, will my Oxygen also do that? But I think you're wrong on the limits though...

http://line6.com/data/l/0a06007213327477e9e44e9d60/application/pdf/GearBox%203.5%20and%20later%20MIDI%20Setup%20Guide%20(Rev%20B)%20-%20English.pdf

• Members

i don't know much about that program, but let me give you a little info on midi.

midi is a computer language sort of like binary code (1's and 0's) no audio travels through midi, it just tracks where you hit the note, and how hard/fast you hit the note (whether that be on a key board or whatever)

midi :D

• Members

I'm not an expert, but if you want it to be variable then it has to be something that will spit out CC data, like modulation or volume control info and then the parameter you wish to control has to be mappable. I am not sure how the sustain thing would work; if it only takes an on/off switch or if you can plug a real pedal in there. If it takes a pedal and you don't have one the Behringer FCV100 is only a few bucks and works really well for MIDI CC data and doesn't need a battery to work. As a guitar volume pedal it sucks balls, but that isn't what you want here.

• Members

I am not sure how the sustain thing would work; if it only takes an on/off switch or if you can plug a real pedal in there. If it takes a pedal and you don't have one the Behringer FCV100 is only a few bucks and works really well for MIDI CC data

Well, a sustain pedal for a keyboard is a real pedal, it's not an on/off switch, so yes, and thank you for the pedal recommendation.

• Members

"I imagine the answer is yes, but the ability to do this is pretty important to me, so I want to make sure the answer is yes."

Except that it's probably not. The Sustain jack is likely to be capable of receiving a range of two: on and off. Most of the sustain pedal inputs I've encountered are pretty set in stone only to control one parameter: sustain.

What you want is a range of 0-127/ 1-128 (depending on the manufacturer). That means you should look for a jack labeled "expression" or "CV" (control voltage). Then you just need an expression pedal and to learn something about MIDI.

If you know NOTHING about MIDI, then I can safely that it will NOT be easy. I would recommend starting with the expression control on the keyboard, next to the pitch bend. If you can figure that out and it gets the results you want, then you can tackle the additional challenge of getting an expression pedal that will send the full CC range.

• Members

There's the initiative I like to see! (I'm taking a little break from the MIDI Hell I have endured, so if I'm a little edgy, it's at least half because I know how tricky it can be.

I'm guessing LINE 6 will try to make it easy for guitarists to understand their gear, although I don't love the company at all. I seem to recall reading Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 manual and finding out some surprising info regarding the adaptors that shipped with the modeling FX.

Manuals are better than marketing when it comes to MIDI specs, and there's usually a tidy summary chart near the end. Do try mouse dragging if that can adjust the GB controls in real time, just to make sure the end is worth the means.

Every manufacturer recommends their own gear, but MIDI is intended to be universally compatible. Therefore, you may find a suitable controller in a Goodwill store.

• Members

Well, in the interim, I've decided to forget both keyboards and go with a cheap MIDI guitar. I'm going to use that and a large MIDI controller into a MIDI to USB adaptor, then just the UX1 recorder for guitar and vocals. I'll alternate using the controller to run the synth functions and to manipulate the Gearbox FX functions. The whole rig should run $300, give or take depending on my luck.

So, all used...

Behringer FCB 1010: $80

Toneport UX1 w/ tons o' software: $70

Yamaha/Casio MIDI Guitar: $80-180

Some MIDI to USB device: $20

Archived