Memorymoog -- To sell or not to sell --

funk5

• Members

Ok, so I bought a Memorymoog a couple of years a ago or so. It is very good condition besides some minor cosmetic flaws in the wood and on the aluminum. Other then that it is pretty clean, and all the 6 voices still tune up. It was taken good care of by the original and single owner before me, and I have taken very good care of it as well. Why would I want to sell it? Well, my main reason would be to put the money towards the purchase of studio recording equipment. I don't have a good computer to use for recording, I don't have an interface, need mics, monitors and some other things. My amp and keyboard setup is filled out though. I am planning on using some student loan money towards all this, but if I didn't sell the MM I would take out much more of a loan then I would like to. I really don't want to sell it, I love playing it, just makes such amazingly phat phat sound, and it is I think one the most beautiful looking synths around. Another reason for me to consider selling, is that because of its age and extreme complexity of its electronics. If from what I read in the posts about the polymoog with all the electrolytics drying up, and obvious other components, this would be even worse. When it does need servicing I'm afraid it will be very expensive. Living in the midwest doesn't help for finding a tech either, and I want something that I can gig with, as this is too fragile to take out. I have a roland jp8000, but the filters etc. on that are weak in comparison for obvious reasons. What should I do?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah you read my post....

Well ditto on what I said elsewhere. Look ... if its running well now it probably will for a good while. But MemoryMoogs are ... well ... not replaceable. What I mean is you may, down the road, regret selling it.

As a general synthesis tool, it was and still is one of the fattest synths ever produced. Nothing ever came close to it, IMHO. Maybe the CS-80 but that monster is just that ... a monster.

Personally, I think a loan can be paid back over time. You may never again be able to afford and/or justify the expense of acquiring or even find another MemoryMoog in the future if you sell yours now. What you have there is a piece of history and a real unique instrument. Recording equipment is transient and will be outdated almost as soon as you buy it. A MemoryMoog is a rare bird not to be trifled over. You already own a Stradivarious (sp), would you sell one of those for gear knowing you might not be able to get one ever again?

Just a thought.

John LeVasseur

• Members

Keep it until it dies. They are not known for any kind of dependability so if your not a tech head, play it until it breaks then sell it for parts. Some museum or collector is bound to grab it.

If you are a tech head, then that baby is going to take some time and effort to keep it running. Whether or not it is a labor of love is up to you.

• Members

Oh yes .. one other thing

The MM has a good track record for dependability, the effects of age notwithstanding. And MM's have more tech's who are willing and/or specialize in their repair and restoration if needed. The PolyMoog was a troublesome machine from the get go, and is very hard to work on as well. There lies the reason for my other post on PolyMoog issues. They do not apply in the same way to MemoryMoogs.

JRL

• Members

Oh yes .. one other thing

The MM has a good track record for dependability, the effects of age notwithstanding. And MM's have more tech's who are willing and/or specialize in their repair and restoration if needed. The PolyMoog was a troublesome machine from the get go, and is very hard to work on as well. There lies the reason for my other post on PolyMoog issues. They do not apply in the same way to MemoryMoogs.

JRL

hows the weather down in oceanside, jrl? :lol::wave:

• Members

Unless it's a LINN modified MM forget it. I lusted after one of these myself in the past, hell, do a search on this forum. Then I did a bit of research and settled for Minimonsta instead.

Unless you have the time or money to keep it up, forget it.

If you love it, cool, but I passed.

• Members

Another reason for me to consider selling, is that because of its age and extreme complexity of its electronics. If from what I read in the posts about the polymoog with all the electrolytics drying up, and obvious other components, this would be even worse. When it does need servicing I'm afraid it will be very expensive. Living in the midwest doesn't help for finding a tech either, and I want something that I can gig with, as this is too fragile to take out.

For some odd reason, I thought I lived in the Midwest. Maybe I'm north coast.

• Members

I've struggled with a similar decision on my Jupiter 8. I don't use it enough and it represents a pretty significant chunk of change that I could use to either buy new gear or something else. However, based on some advice I received and some long thinking about it, I suggest that you keep your MemoryMoog. Here is the line of thinking...

If I had a MemoryMoog, I would designate it as a discretionary

• Members

I was in a similar situation twenty years ago in college. I also owned a Memorymoog and was getting GAS for recording gear. I basically controlled my impulses and waited until I graduated and got a job with decent pay. I still have that Memorymoog and I still use it.

Bottom line, you'll regret it.

• Members

Thanks for the replies fellas. Since posting I have persuaded myself both ways a few times. I talked to my musician friends, and they all say keep it for sure. Keep going back and forth, but don't seem to have the heart to go through with it. I'm thinking that since I'm already in debt from college, and will have more college debt, what's another 5 grand or so on gear? I don't know though if I can afford to keep it running once things start going wrong on it. I am going to play it a bunch more and keep thinking about it.......

• Members

I would say sell it, but i always hated the sound of the Memorymoog. Always found it brash and out of control. More a Prophet or Jupiter fan..

Maybe you could sell it buy a new Prophet 08 and put the change into some recording gear? That way you get a new analogue synth with warranty, no reliability hassles, 8 voices with a proper vcf that could surely do most of that Memorymoog stuff..

Just a thought.. :wave:

• Members

.......What should I do?

These are always tough decisions. I had serious seller's remorse after selling my Korg Mono/Poly, but these are sacrifices and decisions you have to reach if you are in need of certain equipment quickly and just can't find any other way to fund it.

What I always do is draw a line down a piece of paper and list out the cons and pros of an action. Pros would be: Great vintage tone (even newer analog stuff just doesn't quite sound the same), the process (interface, looks/vibe), etc. Cons would be: WILL at some point require maintenance ($$ ), no sound card, no workable computer, increase of debt, etc.

• Members

DONT SELL IT YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Im a memorymoog plus owner. They are one of a kind and hard to find.Nothing sounds like one. Out of the 20 or so analogue synths i own it is still THE synth in my studio that makes jaws drop- its sounds incredible from delicate mono leads to huge minimoog type basses and warm shimmering pads. Id sell every other synth i have if i had to but never the memorymoog, no way!

If you sell it the chances are you will never find another one. If yours has quirks at least you know what they are and can deal with them. For what its worth everything works very well on my memorymoog plus. midi is great but limited, it stays bang in tune everytime its powered on and there are no scratchy pots. Maybe im lucky but ive spoken to other memorymoog owners that also say theirs are pretty problem free

One day ill get the lintronics mod but its by no means essential, mm's are great as they are. Dont be afraid of the beast! :cool:

• Members

Ok, So I'm just curious what the rates are for a tech to work on a MM and related synths? Where are all you techs located? I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, which is about an hour away from Omaha. What are some of the most common problems that any of you have seen on your memorymoogs? Thanks again.

Archived