Novation ReMOTE 61SL Vs X-Station?

Mysteron

• Members

Hi, newcomer here hopefully asking a not too simplistic question (I'm a synth player from the early 80's and revelling in the new tech around today). I have finally made the decision to move from using a Roland D-70 as a MIDI controller to a unit specifically designed for it. I have spent countless hours reviewing the various MIDI controller options, but all seem lacking in something other than the Novation units.

My current set-up includes - Korg EX-8000, Matrix 6R, Yamaha A4000, Akai S3000XL, Alesis Micron and the D-70. I am also considering acquiring a CS6R. I am interested in hearing from users of both the Novation ReMOTE 61SL and X-Station on whether either/both of these units would make an excellent "front end" to my rack gear and enable the ease of programming I assume they offer.

Specifically, can I create a map specific to each rack synth, save it and then call it up as and when I need to tweak something? If not, is there a MIDI controller out there that would allow me to create a MIDI map and use it as a front end for my current set-up rather than have to rely on software interfaces?

I like the look of the X-Station as it provides another sound source to play with but does it have the functionality of the ReMOTE 61SL?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

• Members

Yes you can create controller maps, save them, then call them up when needed of course. The SL 61 comes with software which auto identifies which VST you're using and will automatically switch all the keyboard controls to match the software. If you're not using VST's then the SL becomes the same as any other controller keyboard, including the X-Station.

I'm not sure of the precise differences (like the number of MIDI profiles each allow you to save into their memory etc) between each, but I'd say if you're not using sofware VST's then you might as well look elsewhere than the SL since that's basically the whole point of the thing, although it can be used to control hardware too.

• Members

Thanks P321, it seems then that the major differences between the two (hence the same retail price) is that the ReMOTE has the VST plug-in ability whereas the X-Station has the Novation class built-in synth. Seeing as my intent is to use what I buy as a hardware controller 95% of the time, the X-Station seems to be a better buy.

• Members

Keep in mind, too, while the X-Station doesn't have the automap feature, its controls are laid out in a synth-oriented fashion while the ReMOTE's controls are more generic ...

While I've yet to use my X-Station seriously as a software controller, unless you've got 18,000 softwares, I can't imagine it would be too much of a pain to do it once for each softsynth ...

• Members

I use my x-station to control software. It's a bit of a nuisance to set up unless there's a template included (use the setup software) but I like the layout a lot. It should do fine controlling other boards. The remote has a MIDI through port that the x-station lacks; don't know if that matters.

• Members

SL :love: BIG.L.C.Dsssss

Has shortcomings, just like other synths. The keys, knobs, and sliders are subjective. I personally don't like the feel of the faders, and the keys are ok. The knobs are totally fine. I think the SL has more software available for it, making it easier to configure. There are the SL templates and editor. Custom templates and you can build your own. Automap. Integration is great. But the LCDs are what does it for me. It's fantastic and fluid to use.

(I should mention I already have a KS-5 though)

• Members

The remote has a MIDI through port that the x-station lacks; don't know if that matters.

This is misleading. The X-station has 1 MIDI IN and 2 MIDI OUT ports, but the OUT ports can be used as THRU ports. Check out p12 in the manual -- you can configure them to send any combination of X-station data, MIDI IN data, or USB data.

• Members

SL
:love:
BIG.L.C.Dsssss

Has shortcomings, just like other synths. The keys, knobs, and sliders are subjective. I personally don't like the feel of the faders, and the keys are ok. The knobs are totally fine. I think the SL has more software available for it, making it easier to configure. There are the SL templates and editor. Custom templates and you can build your own. Automap. Integration is great. But the LCDs are what does it for me. It's fantastic and fluid to use.

(I should mention I already have a KS-5 though)

I like the feel of the keys more than stikygum (yes, totally subjective!) but otherwise I can give this a hearty +1. My SL makes softsynths and my DAW a pleasure. :)

• Members

This is misleading. The X-station has 1 MIDI IN and 2 MIDI OUT ports, but the OUT ports can be used as THRU ports. Check out p12 in the manual -- you can configure them to send any combination of X-station data, MIDI IN data, or USB data.

Point taken. I only use the MIDI IN port so that's not something I'd know. The SL, though, still has one more MIDI port than the x-station. If that matters.

• Members

Point taken. I only use the MIDI IN port so that's not something I'd know. The SL, though, still has one more MIDI port than the x-station. If that matters.

Yeah, it's one of those things you don't come across until you start looking for it. I was trying out various ways of linking 3 keyboards and my laptop and that routing became important.

• Members

x-station; the duct tape of keyboards

+1 haha

Use # 47: The new roadie dropped our vocal FX unit and it's DOA. Solution: Use the X-station's pre-amp and built-in FX!

Use #176: The "mint condition" Moog Voyager you ordered from that Russian guy on E-bay arrives -- and the keyboard is trashed! Solution: Use the X-station MIDI controller!

Use #1,394: The Swedish Ambassador arrives for dinner, but the parking break fails on his luxury automobile, threatening the evening. Solution: Place the X-station behind the wheel as a parking block!

Archived