George L's Cable Kit Fans?

ermghoti II

• Members

I have two of these right-angle kits laying around, I finally tried making a pedal connector last night. I can get a fine connection, but there is a horrific attenuation of highs, my friend's G&L ASAT sounds like it has a humbucker in it, with a total of 5" of George L cable in his signal path. I have read raves about these cables, and I'm shocked at these results. A cheapie $2 connector is owning the George version ATM.

User error? Bad batch of cable? Other people just prefer the darkening effect? What exactly am I facing here?

• Members

Damn. I spent whatever-the-hell on this stuff, and it's totally unusable unless I blunder onto the correct assembly technique or whatever. It looks like the collars are biting nicely into the ground, and I already found out not to bend the cable too much when threading the cap. Maybe I'll just try another length. I am hesitant to open the second kit, in case I try to return/exchange/sell it.

• Members

I bought a dickton of GL ends and cable last year and within 6 months none of the ends were usable. I called GL and the friendly service rep told me that they had a problem w/ the unplated brass ends and they would replace everything with my choice of gold or nickel ends. She also said she's send me a tshirt. I mailed the everything back last week; a total of 36 right angle ends and 4 stright ends.

I've never noticed any audible difference in tone w/ the GL's. Robo thinks they sound thin but I think that's his perception messing with him.

One thing I will say, I {censored}ing hate having to use all livewire 6 inch cables on my pedalboard. It doesn't lend for an ideal layout.

• Members

Might be that the tip connector pin isn't making good contact with the center wire, or the end cap didn't cut cleanly through the housing. Best bet is to cut the end with cable cutters(shear), not diagonal cutters, and cut the end every time you make a new connection.

I have the unplated brass plugs, and every once in a while, I have to unplug and re-plug all my patch cables to clean the contacts, but if GL is replacing them, maybe I'll go that route.

• Members

Might be that the tip connector pin isn't making good contact with the center wire, or the end cap didn't cut cleanly through the housing. Best bet is to cut the end with cable cutters(shear), not diagonal cutters, and cut the end every time you make a new connection.

+1...for making sure the cut is straight. I use a razor blade. If the cable end isn't round after you're down cutting, squeeze it back into a round shape.

Then...push the cable straight down into the end as far as you can. You'll feel it bottom out on the pin.

Bend the cable into the little valley in the side of the connector, and hold it there. Screw the cap down all the way, making sure it cuts right into the side of the cable.

• Members

Er? You mean like snips, or some more specific tool. I did use dikes, but I rolled the cable back to roundish afterwards.

My connectors are plated, not plain brass.

Basically a pair of cutter with razors for jaws.

Just use a plain razor blade (new and sharp). The cut needs to be very straight and round. Grab the cable and push the razor straight down...it'll cut through like nothing.

• Members

I did that first, and got a dead cable. After I worked the cap back and forth a little, it seemed to cut into the insulation better, and got contact. If one doesn't bend it so much, the collar catches the insulation, and shoves the cable into the hot connection, as it peels into the ground sleeve. I only needed to bottom out the cable, bend it 30 degrees or so, push the cap onto the threads and tighten. Of course, I also got an unusably dark cable...

Are you able to tighten the cap all the way down?

I understand what you're saying and why that makes sense plenty fine. I'm not saying to bend the cable 180

• Members

Caps are bottomed out. I'll try bending it a little more, I guess, but looking at the cable during autopsy, the connection looks pretty good. Nothing really moves, the cable is trapped in the sheath, the cap just shaves it's way down as it forces the cable against the hot connector. I got nothin'. I'm about ready to mate a section of cable to a soldered connection to check if it's the cable itself.

• Members

Caps are bottomed out. I'll try bending it a little more, I guess, but looking at the cable during autopsy, the connection looks pretty good. Nothing really moves, the cable is trapped in the sheath, the cap just shaves it's way down as it forces the cable against the hot connector. I got nothin'. I'm about ready to mate a section of cable to a soldered connection to check if it's the cable itself.

I'm really just stumped.

Are you positive that it's the cable making this sound and not another piece of gear somewhere iin the signal chain?

Archived