Pay to play............Thoughts??

daysofspeed

• Members

thing is, a lot of these small club owners don't understand promotion. IMO it is there job to advertise and target the night at specific people who they know in their area. your job to bring friends and advertise to people who you know follow your band and give a good show. too many lazy bastard club owners who don't wanna get involved with the actual business of having live music.

• Members
Cheers for all the advice guys
:thu:

Ive done a bit of google research on the company and lets just say there's some not so positive views of this guys operation coming up on the 1st page. Considering they list so many sponsors it doesnt really make sense that they're trying to scam a few quid out of bands.

Ive forwarded the info to the rest of the bands so looks like we'll be pulling out and pursuing other band night things like melx and arrmatey suggested.

I know the Isle of Wight is a long way from Southport, but if you are ever down this way I'm pretty friendly with the peeps that organise local gigs, so I could probably get you a gig somewhere....or at least tell them you are interested and pass your details on to them.

• Members
I know the Isle of Wight is a long way from Southport, but if you are ever down this way I'm pretty friendly with the peeps that organise local gigs, so I could probably get you a gig somewhere....or at least tell them you are interested and pass your details on to them.

Thats really cool thanks, the Isle of Wight is a long way for us but if we're ever planning a trip down i'll make sure I get in touch :)

Same goes to you for the southport / preston area and any other forumites for that matter!

• Members
Thats really cool thanks, the Isle of Wight is a long way for us but if we're ever planning a trip down i'll make sure I get in touch
:)

Same goes to you for the southport / preston area and any other forumites for that matter!

Isn't there that place in preston called "the venue"? I engineered a gig on a tour there once. They prob do a lot of gigs, no?

• Members

Isn't there that place in preston called "the venue"? I engineered a gig on a tour there once. They prob do a lot of gigs, no?

Yeah we haven't actually played there but we've sent them a message to see if we can sort something out with them, we've played a few gigs up that way a few in southport but there's not much of an appetite for live music in either place and we're just trying to broaden our horizons a bit.

We didnt realise this event was pay to play at first, and the more we looked into the whole thing today the more we can see what a sham it all is. Ive been in touch with the rest of the band and explained the situation in depth and they all agree there's no way we're doing it.

The reason i started this tread was to see how common this type of arrangement was as ive never in my limited experience come across it before and was worried that this is the sort of thing we would have to deal with if we were to branch out.

• Members

I was in a band years ago that almost did one of these festivals in the states.
I don't think we ended up doing it just because it turned out kind of lame and seemed like a scam.

I personally wouldn't bother with it.

• Members

Pay to play is a scam.

thing is, a lot of these small club owners don't understand promotion.
IMO it is there job to advertise and target the night at specific people who they know in their area
. your job to bring friends and advertise to people who you know follow your band and give a good show. too many lazy bastard club owners who don't wanna get involved with the actual business of having live music.

Small club owners don't understand promotion b/c they're not promoters. The skillset it takes to successfully put on shows is completely different than the skillset it takes to own/manage a bar. Bars usually do okay whether there is live music or not. In MOST situations local bands don't do much to grow the business; rather they scare away the locals would rather relax in a chill bar.

IF YOU DON'T EXCEPT THE FACT THAT IT'S UP TO YOU AND YOUR BAND TO PROMOTE YOURSELVES YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ANY SUCCESS.

In EVERY band I've been it's been entirely up to us to promote our shows and bring a crowd. No promoter will want to book your band unless you have a following and you can make them money (they can give a {censored} whether the music is good). It hasn't been until we've established our own fanbase that clubs/promoters would even give us the time of day.

The best thing you can do to start off is to build a fanbase of 20-30 friends. Start by playing house parties and throwing your own parties. Even if your friends aren't into your kind of music usually they will still support you b/c they feel like a part of it. You'll even find that some of your biggest supporters are ppl you wouldn't think of being into your music. Then when you have a good following you find a small, slow pub that would jump at the opportunity to have 20-30 ppl packed in and they'll pay you good money.

• Members

Pay to play? {censored} yeah.

The only gigs I've played in the past 4-5 months have been high paying ones. $800 for the weekend, 3 sets a night type deal. It's kind of out of my character to do them, but I really don't mind. The money to effort ratio is awesome.

• Members

Pay to play? {censored} yeah.

The only gigs I've played in the past 4-5 months have been high paying ones. $800 for the weekend, 3 sets a night type deal. It's kind of out of my character to do them, but I really don't mind. The money to effort ratio is awesome.

Did you actually read any of the OP or this whole entire thread?

Archived