'59 Tweed Bassman RI owners chime in!

Loobs

• Members

So for various reasons I decided against buying that Super Bass - I'd have to buy a cab too, and that would mean more money, I don't really have space to store a head and 4x12/2x12 here, also it didn't sound really that great at lower volumes, sounded amazing at very high volumes. I played a Bassman LTD and really loved it, and it seems to be the right amp - a combo, more reasonable power, great cleans, takes pedals very well.

So could owners tell me what they think of their amps? Pros/cons? Also, do you have the earlier RI or the LTD?

• Members

Best amp I ever owned. I had the LTD. The tubes were not stock. I ran Winged =C= SED power tubes, TungSol RI 12AX7s, a JJ 5AR4 and an ANOS GE 12AY7 in V1. :love:

There were 2 pedals that my amp didn't like. One was the BoR. The bottom end was just too flabby and had no definition. Not sure why because when I used a Tube Zone the bottom end was very tight....even for an open back cabinet. The second pedal was my POD X3L. Not sure why....but it just didn't get along with my Bassman. My POD actually sound better in my friends Peavy VK combo than it did with my Bassman :facepalm:

Anyway....I did an A/B with the LTD and RI and the bias pot is nice if you want to play with tubes. I also always recomend the LTD as I think the pine cabinet has alot to do with the LTD "swirly cleans" that you hear so much about. Didn't get that from the RI. I also REALLY liked the Jensen P10Rs that come in the LTD when compared to the RI.

Lots of possible tonez with that amp by messing with the EQ. You can run it with the Treble and Bass all the way down and dime the mids for a nice Marshally sound. Jumping the channels is also a nice feature.

• Members
Best amp I ever owned. I had the LTD. The tubes were not stock. I ran Winged =C= SED power tubes, TungSol RI 12AX7s, a JJ 5AR4 and an ANOS GE 12AY7 in V1.
:love:

There were 2 pedals that my amp didn't like. One was the BoR. The bottom end was just too flabby and had no definition. Not sure why because when I used a Tube Zone the bottom end was very tight....even for an open back cabinet. The second pedal was my POD X3L. Not sure why....but it just didn't get along with my Bassman. My POD actually sound better in my friends Peavy VK combo than it did with my Bassman
:facepalm:

Anyway....I did an A/B with the LTD and RI and the bias pot is nice if you want to play with tubes. I also always recomend the LTD as I think the pine cabinet has alot to do with the LTD "swirly cleans" that you hear so much about. Didn't get that from the RI. I also REALLY liked the Jensen P10Rs that come in the LTD when compared to the RI.

Lots of possible tonez with that amp by messing with the EQ. You can run it with the Treble and Bass all the way down and dime the mids for a nice Marshally sound. Jumping the channels is also a nice feature.

Great man, I've heard the LTD is the better amp. You ran a POD into it??!?

• Members

Yeah, the JTM45 is a basically identical circuit, albeit built with different parts.

I like the speakers for the most part - I'm not looking for a huge tight bass sound so the stories of the bass being 'flubby' don't phase me too much.

I have found a very very good price on a new one, and a great price (like

• Members
It is. There's some dudes here who say that they Emminence is a better speaker
:idk:
It might be on its own....but the Jensen compliments that amp so much better when compared side by side.

I can believe it, I've heard the Weber replacements are even better. Although pricey.

• Members

I love it. In my opinion, it's the best "single channel" amp I've ever played.

Only reason I'd ever sell/trade it is out of curiosity to try other stuff (as the bassmans are really easy to find in the states).

You will regret nothing if you buy it.

Oh yeah....JUMPER THOSE CHANNELS :thu:

Archived