VH Dancing In The Street

facefirst

• Members

Does anyone know the effects setup for Eddie's sound on Dancing In The Street? I'm not a huge fan of the song but I love what he did with the effects. It kinda sounds like a phaser and delay. I was wondering if anyone knew how they were set up, though.

Word to your respective mothers!

• Members

Well I have a Japanese tab book of the Diver Down album and they say that the intro is played on a synth. If it was a guitar then there'd be some delay on it and some kind of a phaser effect with quite a full range sweep going on.

From the tab book:

asdfasdfasdf.jpg

I can't read Japanese, but if you, or someone else can, then the answer might lie there.

• Members

From Classic Van Halen.com:

"Dancing In The Street" was originally a hit for Martha and the Vandellas in 1964. Ed used a Mini Moog synthesizer in conjunction with his echoed guitar for the music in this song. He initially wanted the music to be for an original song. However, Dave and Donn Landee talked him in the using it for this cover tune. Eddie later identified this song as his least favorite Van Halen recording."

• Members

From Classic Van Halen.com:

"Dancing In The Street" was originally a hit for Martha and the Vandellas in 1964. Ed used a Mini Moog synthesizer in conjunction with his echoed guitar for the music in this song. He initially wanted the music to be for an original song. However, Dave and Donn Landee talked him in the using it for this cover tune. Eddie later identified this song as his least favorite Van Halen recording."

Told ya it said it was a synth.

• Members

Here's another quote from Bill Roland:

"Dancing In The Street was a huge source of frustration for Eddie, as producer Ted Templeman and singer David Lee Roth insisted on using a Mini-Moog synthesizer riff on the song that Eddie wanted to keep for a Van Halen original composition. Many have said this was the final straw in Eddie building his own 5150 studio in his backyard, so he could put together his songs without interference."

:idk:

• Members

Here's another quote from Bill Roland:

"Dancing In The Street was a huge source of frustration for Eddie, as producer Ted Templeman and singer David Lee Roth insisted on using a Mini-Moog synthesizer riff on the song that Eddie wanted to keep for a Van Halen original composition. Many have said this was the final straw in Eddie building his own 5150 studio in his backyard, so he could put together his songs without interference."

:idk:

No clue, man. I just know that in the live videos I've seen he's not playing a synth. In the studio, who knows. Wouldn't surprise me.

• Members

No clue, man. I just know that in the live videos I've seen he's not playing a synth. In the studio, who knows. Wouldn't surprise me.

Live the synth is probably a backing track and Ed is playing a simple guitar line over it.

Listen to this version:

[YOUTUBE]hsimgxD0TVI[/YOUTUBE]

Compared with this:

[YOUTUBE]wPS12Vll_tA[/YOUTUBE]

The second version is more stripped down.

Archived