Kept the RP1000, returned the GT10

joegrant413

• Members

If anybody else is new to MFX floorboards, you might be interested in knowing my recent experience in bringing home a GT10 and an RP1000. I used both with a used JC120 also just purchased --- KILLER AMP, BTW!

Anyway, the bottom line to it is this:

- Both RP1000 and GT10 had the best MFX amp and effect tones I've heard

- Neither sounded as good as my Keeley OD/dirt stomps

- Neither sounded as good as the same kind of FX on the Glass Nexus

- The GT10 seemed to have a few amp tones that were superior to the RP1000

- The RP1000 had little or no learning curve

- The GT10 had a huge learning curve that left me frustrated and baffled a few times

Given I'm not looking for an MFX floorboard for my best tones, but for fun, flexibility, and someday to setup and perform at my church, the RP1000 won the shootout.

Thx,

-- Joe

• Members

Other MFX I've tried for awhile:

POD 1.0

Pandora PX3

Yamaha MagicStomp

ToneLab desktop

Of course, the most recent PODs should beat the pants tone-wise of any of those. But most of the folks on the boards I frequent find Digitech and Boss have the best MFX tones right now... with the big exception being the AxeFX.

-- Joe

• Members

Hearing a lot of good buzzes on the digitech rp series lately. Never tried one but some swear by them.

Had a GT-10 for a few months. Real nice unit btw. The amp sims and OD tones were not good enough to resist using it for a trade in (with some other gear) on a real nice Korg keyboard. The effects was it's best feature I think..

..but if you have a glass nexus? yeah lucky you.

• Members

really good to hear.

the effects on my rp250 might actually replace quite a few effects on my board.

the whammy tracks wayyyy better than their actual unit and the ability to have delay presets with reverb on them might actually make this thing better than my hardwire

Just to make sure I'm hearing you right.... the RP does the Digitech Whammy better than the Digitech Whammy itself does?

Thx,

-- Joe

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok, is everyone comfortable? Let me tell you a little story about the little guitarist that could...

Chapter 1: Why did I do this to myself?

One fine day, I woke up and found that my BOSS GT-10 was beginning to suffer from being bounced around too much in the truck between gigs. I decided to purchase a backup rig. In doing so, I saw the DigiTech RP1000 and said, "This may be a step up, not just a backup!" I scurried to the music store, and when I got it home, I plugged it into my PA...

Silence...

Thinking "This is weird," I quickly removed the XLR cables from the unit and plugged a 1/4" and went straight into a guitar amp. Very quiet, very thin sound. Unimpressed, I plugged the XLR cables back in to see if the individual outputs would work...

Silence...

After about 30 minutes of testing cables, mixer channels and rack settings, I saw and smelled smoke. When I looked back at the RP-1000, it was surrounded in a haze.

Chapter 2: The nightmare continues

The next day, I return the RP-1000 as defective to the music store. They're out of stock, so I had to travel 100 miles to the next closest store that had one in stock. Excited to get my rig going, I made the trek. When I got home, I plugged in the XLR cables and strummed a chord...

Silence...

WHAT THE!?!? In a vein effort to figure this out, I begin flipping switches. After hitting the ground lift switch, I hear feedback. You're kidding, right? I have to lift the ground to use the RP-1000? Ok, how bad can it be?

Chapter 3: Tempting fate

In some level of excitement to get my first chance to hear the RP-1000, I grab my 1/4" cable and plug in my amp...

Silence...

WHAT THE!?!? Further testing confirmed that the minute I touched the back panel with anything metalic, the XLR output would go silent. Now I'm pretty upset - 2 unit with shorts in the back panel. It's 2 hours before the store closes. I can make it, right???

Chapter 4: Not gonna take it any more

I zip back over to the store (100 miles away). Man, gas prices suck! This time, I'm playing the frigging thing IN THE STORE before I bring it home. This will make the "third time's the charm" saying hold true. I plug some guitar in, and both 1/4" outputs into 2 separate amps. I am overjoyed with the fact that I can hear anything at all, much less good tone!

It's now dark outside, driving home in sheer anticipation. I get home, plug the 1/4" cable in, and strum away...

SILENCE!!!!!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE ******* KIDDING ME!

No input at all, no tuner responsiveness, nothing!

Chapter 5: The final straw

The next day, I call the manager of the music store and explain my story. He is in disbelief that so many units could all be defective in different ways. When I explain my theory of the short, he connects the dots and suggests that it may be a bad lot. He'll overnight a unit from out of state and test it exactly the same way I have been trying. Nothing out of the ordinary, so he's happy to help me out. (Kudos to Guitar Center in Edina, MN)

The next day, I am beyond aggrivated. At this point, I just want SOMETHING, so I'm entertaining the POD X3 Live as well as another GT-10 (again, thinking backup). Of course, those are both out of stock (now I know why.) However, the testing of this particular RP-1000 was successful, so they boxed it up and handed it over to me.

When I got home, I was too upset to even bother opening the box. I went to bed and drempt of my next show, with hundreds of girls screaming at my enormous...talent...

I woke up the next day, figuring this was just going to be more of the same nightmare, I reluctantly grabbed the box, opened it, plugged everything in, and strummed a chord...

IT WORKED!!!

Ok, that's 25% of their product line being usable in any form. Not a number I'd want my users to publicize out in the Internet (as I've just done.) Nevertheless, after running through all the presets to get a feel for the sound, I'm convinced that I can dial in some better tones, so I call the music store and tell them that we're past the big hurdle - I have a unit that I can at least plug in and hear! Wahoo!

Chapter 6: Did you hear something?

Having played the BOSS GT-10 for about a year (being the first in the state to own one), a Line6 user until the POD X3 Live manufacturing nightmare began (which has been addressed in the new models, as I'm told.) I'm now left with the difficult choice. Once I dial in some tones that I expect to hear a certain way, will I be disappointed with the amp/cab models of the RP-1000 or not? Will I sell my soul to the devil and write a new book about my Line6 POD X3 Live experience?

Stay tuned...

• Members

Ok, is everyone comfortable? Let me tell you a little story about the little guitarist that could...

Chapter 1: Why did I do this to myself?

One fine day, I woke up and found that my BOSS GT-10 was beginning to suffer from being bounced around too much in the truck between gigs. I decided to purchase a backup rig. In doing so, I saw the DigiTech RP1000 and said, "This may be a step up, not just a backup!" I scurried to the music store, and when I got it home, I plugged it into my PA...

Silence...

Thinking "This is weird," I quickly removed the XLR cables from the unit and plugged a 1/4" and went straight into a guitar amp. Very quiet, very thin sound. Unimpressed, I plugged the XLR cables back in to see if the individual outputs would work...

Silence...

After about 30 minutes of testing cables, mixer channels and rack settings, I saw and smelled smoke. When I looked back at the RP-1000, it was surrounded in a haze.

Chapter 2: The nightmare continues

The next day, I return the RP-1000 as defective to the music store. They're out of stock, so I had to travel 100 miles to the next closest store that had one in stock. Excited to get my rig going, I made the trek. When I got home, I plugged in the XLR cables and strummed a chord...

Silence...

WHAT THE!?!? In a vein effort to figure this out, I begin flipping switches. After hitting the ground lift switch, I hear feedback. You're kidding, right? I have to lift the ground to use the RP-1000? Ok, how bad can it be?

Chapter 3: Tempting fate

In some level of excitement to get my first chance to hear the RP-1000, I grab my 1/4" cable and plug in my amp...

Silence...

WHAT THE!?!? Further testing confirmed that the minute I touched the back panel with anything metalic, the XLR output would go silent. Now I'm pretty upset - 2 unit with shorts in the back panel. It's 2 hours before the store closes. I can make it, right???

Chapter 4: Not gonna take it any more

I zip back over to the store (100 miles away). Man, gas prices suck! This time, I'm playing the frigging thing IN THE STORE before I bring it home. This will make the "third time's the charm" saying hold true. I plug some guitar in, and both 1/4" outputs into 2 separate amps. I am overjoyed with the fact that I can hear anything at all, much less good tone!

It's now dark outside, driving home in sheer anticipation. I get home, plug the 1/4" cable in, and strum away...

SILENCE!!!!!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE ******* KIDDING ME!

No input at all, no tuner responsiveness, nothing!

Chapter 5: The final straw

The next day, I call the manager of the music store and explain my story. He is in disbelief that so many units could all be defective in different ways. When I explain my theory of the short, he connects the dots and suggests that it may be a bad lot. He'll overnight a unit from out of state and test it exactly the same way I have been trying. Nothing out of the ordinary, so he's happy to help me out. (Kudos to Guitar Center in Edina, MN)

The next day, I am beyond aggrivated. At this point, I just want SOMETHING, so I'm entertaining the POD X3 Live as well as another GT-10 (again, thinking backup). Of course, those are both out of stock (now I know why.) However, the testing of this particular RP-1000 was successful, so they boxed it up and handed it over to me.

When I got home, I was too upset to even bother opening the box. I went to bed and drempt of my next show, with hundreds of girls screaming at my enormous...talent...

I woke up the next day, figuring this was just going to be more of the same nightmare, I reluctantly grabbed the box, opened it, plugged everything in, and strummed a chord...

IT WORKED!!!

Ok, that's 25% of their product line being usable in any form. Not a number I'd want my users to publicize out in the Internet (as I've just done.) Nevertheless, after running through all the presets to get a feel for the sound, I'm convinced that I can dial in some better tones, so I call the music store and tell them that we're past the big hurdle - I have a unit that I can at least plug in and hear! Wahoo!

Chapter 6: Did you hear something?

Having played the BOSS GT-10 for about a year (being the first in the state to own one), a Line6 user until the POD X3 Live manufacturing nightmare began (which has been addressed in the new models, as I'm told.) I'm now left with the difficult choice. Once I dial in some tones that I expect to hear a certain way, will I be disappointed with the amp/cab models of the RP-1000 or not? Will I sell my soul to the devil and write a new book about my Line6 POD X3 Live experience?

Stay tuned...

Have you seen the prices for gasoline?

• Members

Once I dial in some tones that I expect to hear a certain way, will I be disappointed with the amp/cab models of the RP-1000 or not?

This problem would not happen to you if you stopped using guitar amps and, instead, plugged your guitar into the RP1000 and then the RP into the house P.A. but you won't do that, will you? Also, buy a keyboard combo amp for use at home and small gigs. It is very similar to going through a P.A. because it's also FRFR(full range flat response). It won't be exactly the same but close enough that there isn't a night and day difference. Again, I'm not saying there will be no difference, just not as large. Your settings at home will match better with what you hear live. I hope my opinion helps a bit.

• Members

I believe Digitech did add loops to the RP-1000, but it still lacks a dual configurable signal chains and the ability to stack multiple types of the same famiily of effect (such as modulation in the case of trem and phaser).

This seems to be true but, so far, it has not affected me. I know it will at some time but ain't nothin' swayin' me away from these distortions and high gain. Also, I have a feeling it won't be something he/she is going to miss. That's because of the mentioning of not wanting to go so in-depth. The GT-10 ended up having way more than I needed anyway. It's just nice to know it's there if and when you do need it. The GT-10 is an incredible unit.

• Members

This seems to be true but, so far, it has not affected me. I know it will at some time but ain't nothin' swayin' me away from these distortions and high gain. Also, I have a feeling it won't be something he/she is going to miss. That's because of the mentioning of not wanting to go so in-depth. The GT-10 ended up having way more than I needed anyway. It's just nice to know it's there if and when you do need it. The GT-10 is an incredible unit.

At first I was completely overwhelmed and felt it had way more that I needed as well. Until I started digging in and realizing it had the power to unlock a bunch of limitations of traditional rigs. The GT-10 has inspired me to seek out some unique effects applications which turned into hooks for songs, an experience which I haven't had with another MFX. It's not perfect (none of them are) but I'm bonding with it in a big way.

• Members

GT-10 has inspired me to seek out some unique effects applications which turned into hooks for songs, an experience which I haven't had with another MFX. It's not perfect (none of them are) but I'm bonding with it in a big way.

This is common. I think I'm going to be in the same ball park with the RP. This can change if a better unit comes out. As a matter of fact, it could be with the next generation Boss GT-x. I think the sooner they get rid of COSM the sooner they will have a better all-around unit. They need a new modeler technology and I think they know it too.

• Members

This problem would not happen to you if you stopped using guitar amps and, instead, plugged your guitar into the RP1000 and then the RP into the house P.A. but you won't do that, will you? Also, buy a keyboard combo amp for use at home and small gigs. It is very similar to going through a P.A. because it's also FRFR(full range flat response). It won't be exactly the same but close enough that there isn't a night and day difference. Again, I'm not saying there will be no difference, just not as large. Your settings at home will match better with what you hear live. I hope my opinion helps a bit.

I've taken great lengths to keep this as matter-of-fact as possible. I am not intending to plug any specific unit here, just stating the facts of what I have encountered in my trials of floorboard multi effects processors such as the RP-1000.

I do play directly into a PA system at home and on the road. I also have a Roland keyboard amp that doubles as my guitar monitor, and also takes a signal from the board for my stage monitor. During this evaluation, I have tried both combinations - PA and guitar amp. The only configuration I had not tried, and assume works well, is to loop the amp through the RP-1000, which is how it is really designed to operate.

As a follow-up to my last post, I would like to add that I am indeed disappointed with the tone of the RP-1000 as compared to the GT-10 and POD X3. There is a difference in the amp models, but not enough to make me feel like I'm playing those amps, just a very mid-boosted version of the same amp at different gain settings.

I believe that the RP-1000 is beter suited in an amp-loop/stompbox configuration. The effects are indeed very good, and I'm going to miss the tracking of the whammy. However, I play too many different styles of music, and the RP-1000 made me feel like there was virtually no difference from song to song, especially without doing some significant post-amp EQing and adding modulation effects, which take away from your tone.

Anyone that has read posts from me in the past (winzlo952 on Amazon and Line6 forums) knows that tone has never really been a concern of mine, until recently. Since being hired as the lead guitarist for a gigging cover band, I was told that the diversity of amps/cabs and overall tone was what impressed them the most. I was able to play solos that sounded as close to the originals as possible. I was not able to "wow" them with the RP-1000 tones during our last practice, when I brought the RP-1000 instead of the GT-10.

It really is unfortunate that Digitech hasn't put more attention to detail into their amp models. I believe this, coupled with the 1-in-4 that functioned at all, gave me more than enough reason to shy away from Digitech for a professional solution.

MY OPINION:

I believe the RP-1000 is best suited to replace or augment your pedal collection. I would not recommend it replace your amps or record directly from it. I think BOSS has the most road-worthy product in the GT-10, but lacks some of the creativity that can be found in the equally good, but less reliable Line6 POD X3 Live.

In my case, I will be returning my RP-1000 and get an X3 Live to see how well the new firmware works. If the X3 fails me during a show like it did when the X3's first came out, will return it for another GT-10 and bulk dump my patches to both units.

NOTE/CAVEAT:

I am a professional guitarist. I.E. I am payed to play and perform. This means that any kind of failure or sacrifice in tone can directly impact the money I receive from that performance. If this is not a concern for you, the RP-1000 could very well be everything you could ever want in a multi-effects processor and you can disregard my comments. They are strictly from my perspective and needs as a professional guitarist.

• Members

Winzlo, the below responses are in no way, whatsoever, demeaning of your educated and experienced opinions. It is only my own in almost disbelief at our complete opposite opinions on the GT-10/RP1000 analysis. Enjoy!

In my case, I will be returning my RP-1000 and get an X3 Live to see how well the new firmware works. If the X3 fails me during a show like it did when the X3's first came out, will return it for another GT-10 and bulk dump my patches to both units.

I sold both my GT-10 and my Pod XT Live. I am not closed to buying from either brand again. The next generation GT is probably going to beat this RP, as a matter of fact. Boss has learned a hard lesson from this if you read the GT-forum.

To end the thread, I am in awe as to how two people can see things in such an opposite way. I think our exchange is super healthy for those that are looking into both units because it means that, even though our input helps in the decision, it's ultimately their trials that will make the decision. That's why those 30-day return policies are the biggest blessings for us musicians.

Sorry for the enormous post, guys.

• Members

Honestly, I can't wait for a portable VST host in a GT-10 like shell. Really what I'd like to do is run AmpliTube or Revalver live but do not want to risk a fragile laptop. That would be the ultimate. Shoot, if someone doesn't do it soon I may be contacting some Chinese manufacturers and getting into business!

• Members

Honestly, I can't wait for a portable VST host in a GT-10 like shell. Really what I'd like to do is run AmpliTube or Revalver live but do not want to risk a fragile laptop. That would be the ultimate. Shoot, if someone doesn't do it soon I may be contacting some Chinese manufacturers and getting into business!

Or a Fractal Axe-FX in pedalboard form and for $500, for that matter. Software or hardware, we've all got our musical utopia ideas in our heads.:idea:

• Members

Absolutely true. This reinforces the whole "why bother flaming" attitude of which is "better". It's each user's preference.

And you're also right - I took great effort to dial in FOUR usable tones in my GT-10. FOUR! If I had wanted to spend that kind of time, I probably could have accomplished the same with my RP-1000. However, I had physical back-panel defects in what turned out to be ALL FOUR units I tried. Taking into account that the Lin6 POD X3 Live still has some significant manufacturing flaws, I think the RP-1000 wins out for the price.

If you have an extra $200 or so to spend, it may be worth getting the X3 Pro and a FBV controller. I unfortunately couldn't spare that kind of money, so I am now battling between the GT-10 I have and the Line6 X3 Live that I returned my RP-1000 for.

It's important to note that when going direct from these units into a PA, that you are going to get the COMPANY's interpretation of the amp/cab, but it's going to be YOUR GEAR that colors the sound. Your own EQ's, outboard rack units, speakers, etc. So, while it is more than acceptable to place blame on a product defect, make sure you've ruled out your own equipment first. :) I learned that the hard way, and if it sames someone else the embarrassment and awkwardness I endured, great.

Find your sound and run with it. What you use doesn't really matter to anyone but you. :)

• Members

Winzlo, very good points. I really think you either had a bad batch of RP's or something in your house was the problem like maybe your house was going through brownouts at the time or something else. No one else has posted about any defects with the unit. I am noting some similarity from patch to patch in the RP1000 now but nowhere near what I hear in the GT-10. I also notice that all these units have a "flavor" to them. They all have a certain sound due to their particular modeling technology and it's heard in most patches. It's not similar enough to me, though. Also, if it's a "good" similarity then I don't have a big problem with that. This is where tweaking is worth it. Tweaking to make patches sound more different is WAY better than tweaking to try to get rid of problems with annoying modeling artifacts.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

New to the forum.

I mainly play a Fender American Deluxe Strat trough a Mesa Boogie F30 amplifier witch gives me "the perfect sound" in my ears.
I've spent alot of time testing different amps and equipment to get to my sound. Now that I've found it I want to keep it of course. :-)

Together with the amp I also use some different stompboxes.
Carl Martin Delayla XL
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
T-Rex Roommate
Jum Dunlop CryBaby

The thing about these effects are that my amp still sounds the same.
The Ernie Ball Volumepedal is discarded because it colours my basic sound to much. Used it to control gain, but not anymore.

So my question is.
Is the Rp1000 clean when using the amp loop? Do I still really get my amps sound?

The Boss GT10 sure isn't! :-)
Just finnished testing it.
I've also tested the TC G-system witch is good but offers to little at a to high price.

So I liked the idea of putting my Delayla in the stomp loop of the RP1000 and my amp in the amp loop, but is it really still the same sound that comes out?

Hope there is someone who's got some experience with this.

Archived