Korg R3!

Bonus

• Members

I have both the SH-201 and R3. The R3 has more options of sound creation beyond the standard VA, but then the SH-201 has more knobs and is a better performance synth. Although the VA engine in the R3 sounds a lot better than the 201, the 201 is more simple to use for experimenting within that context. I treat my R3 is my main "digital" synth, as in I use it for sounds that are more cold, distorted and full of effects which you couldn't get out of a standard VA.

At the moment, I couldn't be bothered to part with either since they compliment each other really well.

• Members

Ahh right sount........i have spotted a r3 for 480 as oppossed to a microkorg for 380 (both brand new), something i like about the micro though. I plan to hook it up with my sp 555 sampler. Think the R3 seems the way to go, just something i love about the micro that has kept me from not buying it lol : (

• Members

In the end, it's a matter of what would add best to your setup.

When you're talking about VAs (or synths in general), I'm not sure you can definitively say one is better than the other ... As one poster said, synths should compliment each.

I find the best, most interesting sounds are often created simultaneously on different machines ... (it certainly easier that way, I think.)

Of course, the prerequisite to that is having different machines ...

The R3 is a pretty neat board ... (But I don't usually play it when I'm at GC because the last thing I need is to want another board ... !)

The only thing that isn't so good is its unknobbyness, but not every board needs to be knobby ... Maybe your next one will be ... Unless this is going to be it for awhile ... then I might re-think ...

• Members

Ye i know i was looking for a ms2000 cos id rather have the knobs there to change live rather than going through menus. The sh 201 has alot of that but theres something about it i dont like, its almost to simple or something.

• Members

I have an MS2000 (that I got minty mint for $250 at a GC) and its very cool ... The interface is great and I really like its sound ...

Maybe you should look for one of those ... I don't think you'd be disappointed with it ... Only four note polyphony ... but it doesn't bother me ... Plus you could always get a rack module to go with it like an A-Station or whatever (I layer mine generally with a Micron) ...

• Members

Ahh 250 fair play!

Ahh i cant seem to get find them anywhere, i know they dont make them anymore so i was thinking of just going for the 201, microkorg or r3. My goal is to have a filthy electronica sound and im the most indecisive man on the planet lol so i just need some1 to make the decision for me! lol

• Members

Ahh right sount........i have spotted a r3 for 480 as oppossed to a microkorg for 380 (both brand new), something i like about the micro though. I plan to hook it up with my sp 555 sampler. Think the R3 seems the way to go, just something i love about the micro that has kept me from not buying it lol : (

No contest, the R3.

• Members

The R3 can be a really great performance synth, it just takes a little extra programming to get to that point. Both the mod wheels and four control knobs can be programmed to control any parameter, but as I mentioned eariler, it's not nearly as simple to jam on as the SH-201.

On the other hand, the 201 has a lot of parameters that require really absurd button holding/knob twisting combinations to access, but I've yet to use half of those features other than setting up MIDI.

As for which one I think sounds better, my opinion is based on the filters. The R3 seems to hit a lot of low and high ends which I'm just not hearing the 201.

• Members

If you need a vocoder... get the R3. If not, the SH201 (although doesn't sound as good) has more functionality.

The SH-201 has an audio interface, programmable arpeggiator, and more knobs to play around with.

The only advantage the R3 has is the vocoder (which can be a huge one if you need it).

Both are pretty good for the price though.

• Members

If you need a vocoder... get the R3. If not, the SH201 (although doesn't sound as good) has more functionality.

The SH-201 has an audio interface, programmable arpeggiator, and more knobs to play around with.

The only advantage the R3 has is the vocoder .

R3 is bitimbral

R3 has more powerful FX processing

R3 has a modulation sequencer

R3 has a more powerful synth architecture: digital waveforms in addition to saw/pulse/triangle/sine, 2 multimode filters, three EGs, mod matrix

R3 can also process external audio, just not pass it on to a computer via USB

So it's not so cut and dried in terms of features.

• Members

Yes, I would pick even the Microkorg over the SH201, if we're just talking in terms of basic tone. SH201 is like all the bad things about the Juno106 (aside from VCA/VCF chip issues) and none of the great sound. I would recommend the 201 though to someone who just wants to learn basic subtractive synthesis and has never touched a keyboard synthesizer before, they probably wouldn't mind that it doesn't sound much better than a VSTi someone threw together in Synthedit. A Korg R3 though is something that can provide instant gratification and you're unlikely to outgrow it as you learn, tons of programming possibilities.

• Members

Cheers for all the info lads!I forgot u have to add on tax on the r3 so its looking more expensive now (its in the US), im on a tight enough budget so i might scram for a micro in the end if i cant get the money together. Cheers for all the info keep it coming :thu:

• Members

Yes, I would pick even the Microkorg over the SH201, if we're just talking in terms of basic tone. SH201 is like all the bad things about the Juno106 (aside from VCA/VCF chip issues) and none of the great sound. I would recommend the 201 though to someone who just wants to learn basic subtractive synthesis and has never touched a keyboard synthesizer before, they probably wouldn't mind that it doesn't sound much better than a VSTi someone threw together in Synthedit. A Korg R3 though is something that can provide instant gratification and you're unlikely to outgrow it as you learn, tons of programming possibilities.

It's been my understanding that the SH-201 sounds nearly identical to the JP-8000, only minus one or two features, yet the SH-201 seems to constantly get frowned upon on various forums.

Didn't somone here actually sell their JP after getting the 201?

• Members

I actually like the Micrkorg over the R3. Sounds a little bit more raw and dirtier.

For some reason... I would never consider the R3 considering the Radias is only about 150 more (well.. GC was blowing them out for 799 at one point).

The SH201 can be had dor under 6, and I've seen places sell them for around 500, and used for around 350. For that price... you can get an SH-201 AND a MicroKorg.

P.S. I sold my JP-8000 for an SH-201. Had the SuperSaw and the programmable ARP was perfect for what I needed.

• Members

The R3 is worth it for the ARP alone, so much fun in that bank, and the vintage poly strings and 700s lead are very usable to me, combine those with the good keys and effects and I'm very happy with it.

The MicoKorg was not even an option for me, the keys are completely unplayable and the Micron lacked a decent interface for live use, plus the R3 looks like a pro small board, I know looks shouldn't be that important, but they are.

Archived