Yamaha YP225 vs. Casio WK3800

GigMan

• Members

So I'm looking at a budget kybd. for my kids to hack around w/at home - not a toy but not a full-fledged pro model either... the Casio WK3800 and the Yamaha YPG225 both look pretty good for under 400 bucks - both 76 key models:

Casio WK3800

Yamaha YPG225

The Casio WK3800 has both a mod. wheel and pitchbend, the Yam. board only has a pitchbend. The YPG225 has piano-style keys, the WK3800 has synth-style keys. i think they both have USB connections/built-in MIDI interfaces. The Casio has both floppy storage and SD card - which is kinda cool, I was wondering what to do w/a whole bunch of old floppy disks I don't need any more... give 'em to the kids to mess around with! ha ha :lol:

Has anyone heard either/both of these models? I'll probably wind up going to Guitar Center to hear 'em - the only place that'll have both... I think Best Buy carries the Yamaha but not the Casio WK3800

:wave:

• Members

I don't know those models. If you wanted to get something a tad bit more serious that you may even enjoy, check out the Casio Privia or less-expensive Yamaha P series.

My kids are getting pretty serious with piano and they fight over the Yamaha upright ALL DAY LONG. Sometimes, when my gear is not loaded in gig mode, I set up my S90 for one of them to play, but that is not sustainable. So I bought a used P120 in minty shape to give them as a Christmas gift. I'll set it up in the rec room so they can both practice, one on the upright and the other on the P120, trading off.

I'll enjoy the side benefit of having a portable 88-key digital piano if I ever need it for a quick gig :)

• Members

I don't know those models. If you wanted to get something a tad bit more serious that you may even enjoy, check out the Casio Privia or less-expensive Yamaha P series.

My kids are getting pretty serious with piano and they fight over the Yamaha upright ALL DAY LONG. Sometimes, when my gear is not loaded in gig mode, I set up my S90 for one of them to play, but that is not sustainable. So I bought a used P120 in minty shape to give them as a Christmas gift. I'll set it up in the rec room so they can both practice, one on the upright and the other on the P120, trading off.

I'll enjoy the side benefit of having a portable 88-key digital piano if I ever need it for a quick gig
:)

Hey Eric - yah, I thought of a used P120 also & I know all about the Privia models... but what appeals to me much moreso about these two jobbies (WK3800 and YPG225) is that they're cheap and they're very lightweight, so my kids could even pick 'em up and carry to their rooms or whatever... My older guy is a piano player but his brother is now a drummer & we have a set in the basement so I actually gave my older son an electric guitar and my guitar amp for Christmas w/the understanding that he only fools w/it after his piano practicing and homework is down - they want to play together in a "band"... :lol: Plus, of course, another understanding is that dad gets to mess w/the gtr. whenever I want... :love::p So the truth is the Casio WK3800 or the Yam. YP225 would really be for their little buddy down the street who jams w/them when he comes over. Of course, when he's not around we'd still have it to fool around with as well.

That's cool that you got the 120 for your kids to use though. :thu: - - but I already have a lightweight 88key dig. piano for myself - the Roland FP2. :cool:

Archived