Music-making in the air

r33k

• Members

Hey folks,

In a couple of days I'm going to have a nice long plane ride and a week with my family for the holidays. Someone take mercy on my sanity and suggest a small, portable, battery-powered music-making device that I could take with me. I looked at the QY100 and that seems to be a powerful device, but I wonder if it has a user interface typical for Yamaha, i.e. undecipherable. I would've been all over a Kaossilator, but no dice in the US until the New Year. Any other ideas?

Best,

• Members

25 key Novation X-Station? It has a built in VA synth that is pretty decent. If you make music with softsynths on a laptop, you can bring that and make all the music you want. The Novation doubles as your audio interface. The XioSynth does the same thing but has less controls and more menus.

• Members

Are you going to be recording or just playing?

If recording, take a laptop and a controller. The X-Station 25 could be considered ideal as it has a good audio interface, inputs, effects and a synth with an x-y pad ... not bad. (Plus, it can be battery powered, USB powered or even used as a strap on for busking purposes ... )

Then again, any cheap controller would work, too.

Good luck.

(BTW ... Do you really consider what the K-lator does

• Members

I already own a 2-octave USB controller and a laptop, but I don't consider that rig small enough for use in an airline seat. I want to be musical and creative, but I don't necessarily need to create full-blown productions. I like the idea of a hand-held battery-powered gadget that will keep me musically entertained for a few hours in the air and in my parent's guest bedroom.

Diametro, I feel that the K is a music making tool, like a drum machine or a sampler. What you do with it is more important than what it is. For instance, based on the YouTube vids I've seen, I believe I could create some nice minimal ambient/drone tracks with it. I find that genre interesting, but many don't. What I like about it is the smallness, the capture-looping capability, and the non-traditional input method. I think I would find those things creativity-enhancing.

• Members

Sony PSP with Beats?

Nintendo DS with Nitro Tracker?

I have both portables, but the DS has an edge in battery life.

There's also Electroplankton for DS, but it's not a typical music app.

I'm kinda intrigued by this, as it seems to satisfy all of my criteria. The trouble with Nitro Tracker is that it involves add-ons that I can't get hold of in the couple of days I have before my trip. Electroplankton is readily available, however. Very interesting.

Archived