Got a Cable Tester .. How am I supposed to read this?

NeverTheMachine

• Members

I got the Behringer CT-100 cable tester. It has no manual, or instructions and I'm pretty much an electronics retard.

When I plug in a 1/4 or an XLR, certain rows and columns light up (pin1/sleeve,pin2/tip,pin3/ring and intermittent) What exactly am I supposed to be looking for here, for either?

• Members

I usually measure my cables w/ a multimeter(velleman i think.. cheap). I measure tip to tip for 1/4" cables using resistance. According to Craig Anderton's book... if you go past a certain reading then yer cables could be bad... However,:rolleyes: the reading he stated is waaaay to low I find... and my cables sound cool to me.

Some guitar players like a lil less brighntess in there sound... aka Jimi Hendrix. I'll make do w/ what I have.

There was a post for a website that sold a tons of books for repairing things like pedals or something.. I wants more of those.:p

• Members

It's probably testing for continuity. So when you look at that matrix of LEDs you want the input and output LED's to match. The LED for in tip and out tip and in sleeve and out sleeve should light up for a good guitar cable. If they don't light up then there's an open circuit. If something else lights up then there's a short circuit.

245573.jpg

• Members

It's probably testing for continuity. So when you look at that matrix of LEDs you want the input and output LED's to match. The LED for in tip and out tip and in sleeve and out sleeve should light up for a good guitar cable. If they don't light up then there's an open circuit. If something else lights up then there's a short circuit.

245573.jpg

So, ideally I should get a diagonal going down and left? That's what I'm getting for the XLR cables, but for the 1/4 it's a diagonal both down/left and down/right (pin3 matching with pin1)

• Members

So, ideally I should get a diagonal going down and left? That's what I'm getting for the XLR cables, but for the 1/4 it's a diagonal both down/left and down/right (pin3 matching with pin1)

Looking at that picture for a good 1/4" mono cable it would be:

OXX (Pin 1/Pin 1)

XOX (Pin 2/Pin 2)

XXX (none)

If anything other than like pins light up then there's something wrong with the cable. Have you tried looking for a manual at Behringer's website?

• Members

Looking at that picture for a good 1/4" mono cable it would be:

OXX (Pin 1/Pin 1)

XOX (Pin 2/Pin 2)

XXX (none)

If anything other than like pins light up then there's something wrong with the cable. Have you tried looking for a manual at Behringer's website?

incorrect.

ring and sleeve will short together.

Archived