Am I using my NS-2 correctly?

uz3r

• Members

Im trying to cut back on noise that I get from my 5150II when I play at some venues. I do not get much noise when in our rehersal room, just at venues, some times its real bad, sometimes its just an annoyance. Im guessing it may be a power thing?

I just borrowed an NS-2 and set it up in our rehersal room. Its set up like this:

1. Guitar > TU2 > Wah > Amp in.

2. Amp Loop Send > GT3 > NS2 (input>output, no use of loop) > Loop Return.

Keeping in mind I only get maybe 10-15% of the noise that I get when in some live venues, as far as I can tell the way I have set it up seems to eliminate the noise/hum that Im talking about.

I dont really know much about supressors, does the way I setup it up make sense with what Im trying to acheive?

• Members

Wait, it won't help my amp hiss at all?

That can't be true...

It's not, you have it in the amp's loop ...... so you should be able to use it to take away any amp preamp noise when you stop playing.

If the hiss is coming from the power stage (after the loop) it won't help though obviously.

• Members

It's not, you have it in the amp's loop ...... so you should be able to use it to take away any amp preamp noise when you stop playing.

If the hiss is coming from the power stage (after the loop) it won't help though obviously.

Ya, I've got serious preamp hiss. When I switch to clean the hiss goes away, thus it is preamp gain making my amp all hissy.

• Members

Ya, I've got serious preamp hiss. When I switch to clean the hiss goes away, thus it is preamp gain making my amp all hissy.

yeah, don't worry about what's correct and what isn't, if it works then it works......you will need to tweek around with the NS-2 when you get it up to gig volume though, the louder the signal going into it, the more you'll need to turn the pedal up to shut the noise down....it's something you'll just have to play around with. you might have to turn it off when you switch to clean too if your clean signal is quieter....that's the whole problem with gates in my experience, getting them to work with clean and overdriven at the same time.

• Members

Honestly, all I've ever used it for was to eliminate amp hiss. And it always performed better before the preamp than in the loop, which always confused me. In any case, get an ISP. Worlds better noise reduction.

• Members

Honestly, all I've ever used it for was to eliminate amp hiss. And it always performed better before the preamp than in the loop, which always confused me. In any case, get an ISP. Worlds better noise reduction.

yeah, but at a quarter of the price, the ns2 will have to do for now.

$50 used v $200-something

• Members

You don't want the NS-2 to hear a noisy signal and then suppress it. You want it to detect an unnoisy signal so that it can know whether you are playing or not (and hence knows whether any "noise" is intentional), and then it will know when to do its job of cutting off the noise (which is introduced later in the chain) before it gets to your amp. In terms of what it wants to hear from its INPUT jack, it's trying to differentiate between noisy (i.e. you playing the guitar) and non-noisy (i.e. you NOT playing the guitar).

The more silent the input signal to the NS-2 is when you are NOT playing, the better it will work. And hence why you need the guitar going into the NS-2 FIRST. When it decides that you are NOT playing, it will suppress sound so that no sound is AMPLIFIED by the noisy pedals that are inside the NS-2 loop. The hiss, noise, buzz, and all that crap that you are trying to get rid of is NOT what the NS-2 wants to hear. It wants to hear the cleanest signal directly from your guitar, so that it can decide WHEN to do its job to prevent the hiss, noise, buzz and all that crap that you ultimately want to get rid of.

If you put the NS-2 late in your chain or put it in your effects loop, then it is hearing a noisy signal and has no idea WTF to do.

The pedal is fantastic if you use it right.

• Members

Using an NS-2 at all is using it wrong.

I actually think Boss should just get rid of it because NOBODY uses it right anyway. They keep thinking it's a noise gate. Really what it is doing is similar to turning all your pedals off when you are not playing and turning it back on when you are. It can only do this if it is first in your chain and hears the purest/cleanest signal directly from your guitar. Then it really knows when you are playing and when you aren't, so that it can do its job of "shutting" down the noisy pedals when you are not playing.

Archived