Tone bypass mod on russian Big Muff

D-River

• Members

I've thought about doing it but haven't got around to it. Even have the 3PDT switch. My understanding is the Russian is bypassed when off. But the input buffer to the Muff circuit still loads the input jack, which makes it not "True". I have a Magicstomp buffering my guitar in front of my distortion pedals so True Bypass in this situation does nothing.

The benefit will depend on whether or not you have your chain buffered in front of the Muff, how long your total cable(s) length is, how high the impedance of your pups, etc... One person could see a positive result and another could see no change.

• Members

^ he said "tone", not "true"!! ;) would have been a good answer though

op, i just finished building a green russian muff and the specs are similar enough to the black i guess. I added a tone bypass after becuase i just couldnt get on with the tone control.. and i had a spare switch too.

there's a pretty noticeable volume boost, and the freq response or whatever is better - kinda like the best position on the tone control knob but louder and less scooped? i think. a marked improvement anyway imo, and it's easy to ake the mod reversible or have a switch to switch between them.

• Members

I done the diagram for it, I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

I done this mod on my NYC and besides gaining a shit load of volume it sounds super cool.

SOVTEKBIGMUFFTONEBYPASS.jpg

I kinda did it... I need to fix it since it's always in tone bypass now. Sounds effing great, though!

• Members

I just finished my russian muff yesterday. put in the 3pdt switch, changed the jacks to switchcraft, changed the pots to Alpha ones, and put in a green Led added 9vdc adapter. I think it sounds better. No tone suckage. I am glad I did it.

Archived