Anyone technically knowledgeable about displays?

droolmaster0

• Members

I got my Ebay Fusion yesterday, and it's a damn shame. The thing was (as advertised) in pristine condition, but the guy who packed it for the seller didn't know how to pack a synth. There was very little padding in it, especially on the top of the synth.

the only damage sustained was to the display, and the metal area surrounding the display (which suggests that something was dropped on it). There is a dent/scratch on the upper right hand corner, but the first thing I really noticed was that even with the display off, there is a weird, very marked discoloration in that corner, spreading down diagonally, and covering in total about a quarter of the display. When the display is turned on, this is white with green tinges, and there are a few lines where it seems like you can see inside (not sure). This part of the display is unreadable. There are, however, no scratches, scratches, or dents in the display itself.

A friend to whom I described this thinks that all that might have happened is that something got disconnected inside? In any case, I have to deal with this now - the seller is willing to cooperate, but I'm hoping not to have to send this back to Alesis if possible (it will involve getting a 'real' box for it and actually packing it with some care, shipping, etc, and then being without for awhile).

Well, just wondering if the symptoms are too vague to diagnose, or whether it sounds like something specific. I am quite ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing.

Thanks.

• Members

Sounds like the LCD got compressed and still is. You can see this phenomenon if you press your finger to an LCD monitor... you'll see a color band around the compressed area... usually yellowish-green. Which would mean you'd need to replace the display.

Yeah - my friend asked me to try that last night - but when I press my finger to the display, there is no color band around it. I see no effect at all from pressing it.

• Members

While I'm no expert, any fault with the display would make me strongly consider replacing the entire module (display & driver board). It's not something you can repair.

Well, I am going to have someone look at it, hopefully this weekend - and if that is necessary it will happen. If the seller doesn't pay the entire cost, he gets bad feedback. Thus far he seems cool.

It's strange though - it looks like something hit a very small, precise section of the metal frame around the display - no other scratches at all, except for the display anomaly. The unit is pristine - so I'm hoping maybe something was jarred loose. But maybe that's being overly optimistic. I suspect that if the display needs replacing, Alesis will insist on it being sent back.

Archived