Modulation effects with amps that have no effects loop

TFC

• Members

This is something I've been wondering about for a while and I'm sure you guys can tell me the answer.

Certain effects, IMO, undoubtedly sound better through the effects loop of an amp. When it comes to using modulation effects with amps that don't have an effects loop though, how does this work? I've recently tried my H&K Rotosphere through the front of my amp and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as in the loop.

To take a guitarist as an example off the top of my head, the Edge from U2, he uses {censored} loads of delay but his Vox amps are, I assume, all vintage and don't have effect loops. And I'm sure he has a whole host of other modulation effects too, but if the amp doesn't have a loop then (how) will it sound as good?

Sorry to ramble!

• Members

I don't use my loop. I put everything in front. Like clementwave said, if you use amp gain this can be a problem, but my amp is clean only. Also, many of my pedals don't like being in the effects loop as the signal is too hot, so it sounds way worse there.

• Members

From my understanding, you don't need to worry about putting modulation, delay, and reverbs into the effects loop unless you are getting your gain/OD/distortion from the amp. If you're getting all your gain from pedals, and just using the amp for it's clean sound, then sticking all pedals out front should be OK. I believe the Edge uses at least a Tube Screamer and a custom built Line 6 Distortion Modeler, so I would presume he's getting all his gain from pedals. Not sure why the Rotosphere is not working out in such a situation.

Mark

• Members

If you run the amp clean, you can put the modulation effects in front of the amp - or...

If you get drive from the preamp or poweramp sections of your amp, use a line-out and re-amp, or put the modulation effects after a mic that is on the amp.

cheers,

Ian

Archived