Mozart vs. Beethoven

amarr1

• Members

Ah {censored} Beethoven blew the {censored}ing doors off Mozart everyone knows that. Next question.

This.

I actually normally can't stand Mozart. Give me Haydn any day, at least he was somewhat clever and had a sense of humor.

• Members

{censored} that noise, bach was where it's at. probably the number one most important figure in music, ever.

Not really. Nobody really gave a {censored} about Bach in his day. It wasn't until Mendelssohn that humankind really figured out that Bach was the biggest badass of the Baroque era. Mozart though, everyone had a hard on for him because of good marketing.

A colleague of mine summed it up nicely:

Mozart was like Superman. He was just born that way - he gets his power from the {censored}ing sun! He couldn't help but just be able to write whatever the hell he wanted and it was just perfect.

Beethoven was like Batman. He worked his {censored}ing ass off to get where he was. All tortured and locked up in his cave where he slowly worked out inventions of genius. That {censored} gets respect!

Nobody had a greater impact on European concert music than Beethoven. People obsessed over him, couldn't figure out what to do after him, and even refused to write works for fear of dying because of him (Mahler and the whole 9th thing). Hell, the greater part of the 19th century was figuring out what the hell to do now that Beethoven had died. Nobody ever got that worked up over Mozart.

• Members

this is apples and oranges people. Mozart was classical period. Beethoven was the end of it and one of the rising forces for Romantic Music.

like Hooya said, Mozart was just naturally gifted. Beethoven busted his ass. Mozart was more melodic while Beethoven was more motivic. i could go on and on.

If its a matter of personal preference of their overall work, id go with Beethoven. There is a lot of Mozart's repertoire that i find incredibly boring, but i'm not much of a fan of the classical era. Baroque, romantic and 20th century are where its at

Archived