Arturia's new Origin Keyboard for NAMM

acoustictones

• Members

Interesting new Synth posted up over at GearJunkies.com:

http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=2574

ARTURIA will unveil version 1.0 of Origin Keyboard, the keyboard version of its first Hardware Synthesizer, Origin. This keyboard lets you perform and create your music with a new level of dynamism, control and ergonomics.

Looks very cool :) Not something I'll need, but who doesn't love to see new products like this come out?

• Members

I am sometwhat intersted in the desktop version they were talking about at last namm. This keyboard version looks..well...eh.. I have serious doubts about the long term stability of that design - ive had pleanty of laptops that, over the years, have had their displays start to flop around because they became loose. The Origin keyboard looks like it may be prone to the same thing.

• Members

I am sometwhat intersted in the desktop version they were talking about at last namm. This keyboard version looks..well...eh.. I have serious doubts about the long term stability of that design - ive had pleanty of laptops that, over the years, have had their displays start to flop around because they became loose. The Origin keyboard looks like it may be prone to the same thing.

Yeah, that thing looks even more unreliable than the oasys's folding screen.

I'd be interested in a desktop version as well. Let's see what the pricing comes in at.

• Members

Yeah, that thing looks even more unreliable than the oasys's folding screen.

I guess "looks" can be deceiving. The OASYS has now been out almost 2.5 years, and I have never seen even one post regarding anyone having a problem with the folding screen.

Other hardware problems, yes, folding screen problems, no.

• Members

I guess "looks" can be deceiving. The OASYS has now been out almost 2.5 years, and I have never seen even one post regarding anyone having a problem with the folding screen.

Other hardware problems, yes, folding screen problems, no.

The screen on the oasys looks like it my have support in the back, kinda like a picture frame - thats a good design, as even if the hinges wear down and become loose, the display still has support.

The origin, as rendered, looks like a rather heavy controll panel is being held verticle by little hinges with no other support mechanism. Aside from looking flimsy and unstable, it also looks just, well, bad.

• Members

The screen on the oasys looks like it my have support in the back, kinda like a picture frame - thats a good design, as even if the hinges wear down and become loose, the display still has support.

No, just two very stiff metal hinges. Perhaps owners are more careful with the hinges (i.e. they don't flip the screen up and down all day just for fun), but at least so far, no one has had any type of problem with the hinge system (i.e. no mention on any of the OASYS-related forums).

• Members

Why do oasys owners always feel the need to capitalize all of the letters in "oasys"? Don't use the acronym argument... we all know what instrument is being referred to, even when it appears in small case letters.

Perhaps the capitalization is done in some vain grasp at superiority, or maybe it is done in attempt of compensating for something else...

• Members

Why do oasys owners always feel the need to capitalize all of the letters in "oasys"? Don't use the acronym argument... we all know what instrument is being referred to, even when it appears in small case letters.

Perhaps the capitalization is done in some vain grasp at superiority, or maybe it is done in attempt of compensating for something else...

Why do people who dont have an oasys care?

• Members

I try to type the names of products identically to how the manufacturer presents them.

If you browse Korg's website, you will notice the name OASYS is always capitalized.

http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?a_prod_no=OASYS&category_id=1

Here are some other names I type correctly:

-- Fantom-X as opposed to "fantom x" or "FANTOM-X"

-- OpenLabs NeKo and MiKo as opposed to "neko" and "miko"

-- V-Synth GT as opposed to "v-synth gt" or "V-Synth gt"

I do see I currently type the Motif wrong -- it should be MOTIF XS.

There are also company names that I try to type correctly:

-- FXpansion as opposed to "fxpansion"

-- LinPlug as oppsed to "Linplug" or "linplug"

At the very least, since OASYS is a proper noun, it should be presented as "Oasys", not "oasys". Are you from "canada" or "Canada"?

• Members

Hi Piggie, I do not know what it is but the Solaris and also the Access line of products, they just leave me cold. I know the Access synths can sound great and I am sure the Solaris will be good. I think it is those letter box LCD's. Also on the Solaris, I expect knobs in 4's or 8's. The Arturia manages a row of 16, a more intuative and musical layout IMHO.

:wave:

I have all the Arturia softies.

• Members

The Origin would be sooooo right for me. I'm running laptop and controller live right now anyway, so to have them in one unit would be nice. But I don't even have GAS for it because of the price. It's a dealbreaker for me at this point. Wish I had that kinda scratch these days, but having just gotten an LP, I can't swing it. I'd have to get a divorce.

• Members

After watching one of the Arturia videos on their website, I am still amazed that people in the business cannot pronounce Moog correctly.

Nothing amazing about it. The Moog people pronounce it wrong.

Bob Moog lived his whole life without learning how to correctly pronounce his name.

• Members

I was pretty shocked when the Origin price was announced last year. I hope it doesn't become an albatross for Arturia the way the Avatar was for ARP.

I'm sure that they won't be building enough of them to become an albatross. Their software sales have such huge margins (even accounting for sunk costs) that I'm sure this little foray into boutique land is as much a prestige marketing ploy as it is a profit center.

Hell, it's better than them sponsoring a Formula One team.

• Members

I am really interested in this board.

How many of you are familiar with Arturia? I'm really digging the demo sounds, but being fairly new to the synth world, how accurate are their emulations?

Would I be better off grabbing a Prophet 08' or getting an Origin 6 months to a year down the road? How hefty are their softies in terms of sucking up CPU power when running as a VST?

To give you an idea of what I am running with, I am running Ableton as my DAW and VST host on a Mac (2.2Ghz w/ 4gigs of RAM & a 7200RPM external hard-drive)... I plan on upgrading my MOTU 828MkII to an Apogee Ensemble... I am curious as if I'd get a better playing experience from the Arturia Origin, getting a Prophet 08' (and running the analog outs of the Prophet 08' into the Apogee) or just grabbing the Analog Sound Factory software package?

Advices? Budget isn't really too much of an issue. What would you do?

I noticed Pighood has plenty experience in the department.... hint hint!

:thu::thu::thu:

Cheers,

Phil

Archived