I need to decide on an 88 weighted keyboard for use live....

Jasontarkus

• Members

For my live rig I currently use a Nord Electro 73, Voyager and an SH-201.

I LOVE the sound of the Nord, but I find its action for playing piano & rhodes quite awful in a live situation.

I've been thinking of getting either a Yamaha P70 or a Studiologic 990 Pro 88 or 990XP.

I only want to use the 88 keyboard as a controller for the Nord piano & electric piano sounds -- so I don't need something with heaps of faders & knobs. I want something relatively lightweight too.

For the organ sounds I'll be using the Nord keyboard which is perfect for that!!

Anyone have any comments, suggestions??

Only thing is -- Studiologic gear is not available in Australia (no agent that I'm aware of) so I'd have to get it shipped from the US (Musician's Friend does it). I'm wondering if it breaks down how hard it would be to get it repaired.

• Members

I have a P70 in my music room and use it to practice on, daily. On occasion I've midi-d my Nord Electro Rack to it and the Nord responds very well using the Yamaha as a controller. It feels very good to play the acoustic and EP's on the Nord. This might work well for you.

• Members

I have a P70 in my music room and use it to practice on, daily. On occasion I've midi-d my Nord Electro Rack to it and the Nord responds very well using the Yamaha as a controller. It feels very good to play the acoustic and EP's on the Nord. This might work well for you.

Thanks for the info.....I'm thinking I'll go with the P70 - its lighter than the SL-990 (about 7kgs lighter) - and I don't think I'd have the chance of trying any studiologic gear unless I purchase it - they don't seem to exist in Australia :confused:

• Members

Plus with the P70 you've got a pretty good piano sound on board and maybe one usable electric piano. You never know when the onboard sounds could come in handy.

You would have the option of layering the P70 piano with the Electro organ or electric pianos. I do that sometims to fatten up a sound

Archived