Vintage keys sounds (ie Vox Jaguar, etc.)

johnbarnesiii

• Members
Hi,

Does anyone know how I can get vintage keyboard sounds, like Vox Jaguar, Wurlitzer, etc. and add like tube distortion?

I can add this, As a guy that played that equipment in the 60s ,, the last thing you want to capture the vintage combo organ sound is tube amp breakup. You have no idea how hard we worked back then to get a clean organ sound at a gig volume to work a big room. We did it with lots of speakers... and ran the amps at a volume level that was below the breakup point. Nothign souded more {censored}ty than some guy Overdriving a keyboard though a bass amp ... which combines with a leslie was a state of the art keyboard rig for the typical working local band. The vox jag was not all that popular..... the contential was the combo organ of choice.

• Members

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can get vintage keyboard sounds, like Vox Jaguar, Wurlitzer, etc. and add like tube distortion?

I can add this, As a guy that played that equipment in the 60s ,, the last thing you want to capture the vintage combo organ sound is tube amp breakup. You have no idea how hard we worked back then to get a clean organ sound at a gig volume to work a big room. We did it with lots of speakers... and ran the amps at a volume level that was below the breakup point. Nothign souded more {censored}ty than some guy Overdriving a keyboard though a bass amp ... which combines with a leslie was a state of the art keyboard rig for the typical working local band. The vox jag was not all that popular..... the contential was the combo organ of choice.

As someone else who played in that era, I have to agree with you. I started off with a Lowery T1 as I couldn't afford the Vox Continental, later added a Wurly and made do until I could get my first Hammond. Among the local bands in my hometown I did see a lot of Farfisa combo organs being used, but most of the better bands/keyboard players were using Continental or Hammond.

Clyde

• Members

As someone else who played in that era, I have to agree with you. I started off with a Lowery T1 as I couldn't afford the Vox Continental, later added a Wurly and made do until I could get my first Hammond. Among the local bands in my hometown I did see a lot of Farfisa combo organs being used, but most of the better bands/keyboard players were using Continental or Hammond.

Clyde

Yup a cut down hammond B3 with a dolly and a big leslie was the ultimate ,, along with EV voice of the theater PA speakers... I made due with the contential. We had a hammond in the house as a kid ,,,, but we practiced in the bass players basement. No way would a hammond fit down those stairs. The old vox contential wasnt a bad combo organ ,, it was no hammond ,,,, with a bassman and a couple bottoms and a leslie it got the job done. I can say its not near as good as my roland RD300sx and a mackie srm 450. my new rig will walk all over the old vox in every way you can imagine. its light and its got some really decent patches for piano , rhodes , combo organs , and the B3 ,,, plus it does good on horns. I almost gotta laugh when people what the vintage combo organ sound ..... they really dont know just how limited those things were. The B3 will always be the king of rock organs,,,, they are kinda like harleys ,, they never go out of style and they got that special sound. The clones come pretty close.... in reality my stage piano comes close enough for who its for. its sub 40 pounds and with the Powered mackie 450 ,, its crazy loud and clean. You had to lug a ton of gear to get anything loud and clean. Tube break up was a real sound killer ...for keys. For alot of 60s music it wasnt what you wanted for guitar......distortion on anything but leads is more of a 70s and 80s things. Yea there was a day when clean was mean ,,,,solid state was all the rage when i was on my way out of the band thing the summer of 70

Archived