dry / wet mix on a board?

• Members

I have a phaser pedal that I would just love if I could have a mix the wet and dry signal. Anyone out there make a simple small passive pedal that Y's the signal with a pot on it for mix? I've seen multi loop ones, but I just want a simple single one.

• Members

just one little detail, it won't be passive. wet/dry mix requires some active circuitry at least, or else you get a feedback loop.

I gotcha. It would need something to keep it from making itself into a closed loop. Any other answers out there?

• Members

IMO nearly all effects should come with mandatory wet/dry blend (even dirt). it adds such an extra level to effects.

I'll probably end up building a batch of these some months down the road because I've had a few requests, but I realize that's probably longer than you're willing to wait for.

• Members

Have a search for napalm effects whammy blender or barge concepts vb-jr. I'm going for the Mod option on my sovtek small stone for the same reason, but also getting it rehoused and other things too. Should be well worth it. The barge concepts vfb-2 I've got adds extra cables and space and power which I don't really want..

• Members

I have a phaser pedal that I would just love if I could have a mix the wet and dry signal. Anyone out there make a simple small passive pedal that Y's the signal with a pot on it for mix? I've seen multi loop ones, but I just want a simple single one.

sounds like you want something like a morley fx blender but in the form of a smaller and with a knob instead of an expression pedal. if so, i don't know the answer, but would also love to know if anyone out there makes one..

also, slightly off topic, does anyone know how one would mod the morley fx blender to change the taper from an audio taper to a linear taper? i'm completely inept in modding, but the schematics are available and figured someone might know. schematics here

• Members

Barge Concepts VB-Jr. does exactly what you want. It's not passive though... as noted above that is impossible.

• Members

I wrote something here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34458526&postcount=21

For a phaser, you would be OK driving the Y with a buffer and running the dry straight to a blend box. If you were mixing dirt, the gain causes more regeneration and you need a buffer on the dry path as well. Then you can sometimes then get rid of the pre-Y buffer, except for more loading of the guitar.

So the answer is still active, just using other pedals to do the amplifying part.

EDIT: doh! the simplest way to get a wet/dry on a phaser is tap into the circuit since it has wet/dry already, just no knob! But I bet the intensity is lost not so far from 50/50 because a phaser achieves its effect not by phase shifting itself, but by mixing that back in with the dry.

also, there are many reasons most pedals don't have drymix:

1) most people are too deaf to hear anything less than full strength

2) Contrary to the intended effect: I might love it on a metal distortion but the last the thing the usual customer wants is clean from one

3) most of the more interesting things require more than one added control

Archived