Opinions on Boss GT-5

• Members

Hi

Im on the lookout for a Multi FX unit to use with my Coverbands.

In different applications

4CM , Direct into a head or Combo , or Direct into a PA

Depending on the Gig or how much gear i want to carry :rolleyes:

I was gonna buy the Digitech RP500 but.....

I like the idea of Boss units having the "Channel switch function"

& Midi.

Asking around some guys recomend the Old GT-5 Saying that the OD/Distortions are much better than the newer units.

I cant find much info on the GT-5 can anyone tell me more or discuss there experiences with this unit compared to other Boss units

Thanks

• Members

I cant say fo sure

But I have read the OD/Dist are analog.

Not the Effects.

Other comments were its the last Boss Gt unit that was made in japan

If that means anything :poke:

Anyway , im still looking from comments from GT-5 users

• Members

I have a GT-5. It was my main rig quite awhile. I still pull it out occasionally. As far as it being the best of the BOSS multi-effects.....I AGREE! Once you learn how to program the "C" pedal, it is very handy.

I never liked it just using the pedal simulations into the front end of an amp. I always used the COSM/modeler into a PA or effects loop return on my amp.

IMO, the overdrives sound really nice (EDIT: as far as them being analog and the effects, digital...I am not too sure on that. They sound nice, regardless.). There's a rack-mount version of the GT-5. It was called a GX-700, or something similar. I knew a dude that ran TWO of those in stereo into 2 different power amps and cabs. That was one of the best guitar sounds EVAR!

• Members

I used a GT-5 into a the clean channel of a laney Amp for a few years and I really liked a lot of the sounds that I got out of it. Especially the more crunchy clean sounds and overdrives never disapointed.

Now I'm using seperate pedals into an old Orange 120OR (the GT-5 never liked that one) and my High-Gain sounds improved a lot. But up until now I wasn't able to produce those lush warm overdrive tones that I got from the GT-5.

... Bottomline: worth a try ;)

• Members

ok thanks for the info guys.

There selling here about the same secondhand prices as all the GT Line

So I guess the GT-8 would be a step up ?

I dont need wacky FX just fairly good

Clean to Overdrive & High Gain tones for Lead

Some Wha ,Chours Rev/Del

And maybe some synth .

Archived