Programmable Analog Effects?

• Members

Hollow Earth (my avatar) has a completelly analog signal path, and amplitude modulation (trem/envelope) can be programmed, or "drawn out", saved, recalled, etc.

This is your Company? You built this? Can it do phase shifting? How many "programs" can it store?

• Members

Are there any analog effects units out there that are programmable as far as the settings of the parameters go but the signal path is still all analog? I am looking for modulation effects in particular.

Thanks!

Not if you're looking at current production stuff, no. The GP-8 had mostly analog fx (the delay and chorus was digital, IIRC), but still was completely programmable. The same went for other early multi-effects units (ME-5, that Korg thingy etc). As technology and player's expectations progressed, the manufacturers moved more and more of the effects into the digital realm.

Is it important that the effects are analog? Or is it actually the dry signal you want to keep analog? If so, there are lots of options out there, including running your programmable modulation pedal of choice from a parallel loop mixer (to keep the dry signal outside the effect itself).

/Andreas

• Members

I've read about older programmable multifx processors manufactured by Boss and Ibanez with some analog effects (like OD/distortion), but I'm pretty sure the effects weren't 100% analog.

Ibanez also released a series of (long discontinued) single effect pedals that were programmable. I believe that the OD and parametric EQ from this series may have been analog.

There are probably analog modular synth modules with presets ... and some of these may be capable of processing a guitar signal.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Not if you're looking at current production stuff, no.

/Andreas

Hi,

this year the PedalPro was introduced. Fully analog multi-fx with digital saveability and realtime tweeking of parameters. JC-Tonequest, you were on to something, it was a matter of time :)

Here's me playing it.

best, Roger

[video=youtube;Gq_6lxyQwN8]

Archived