Show me your sample CDs

• Members

I started collecting sample CDs in 1990 and now I have a fairly flexible library for many genres. Which ones do you have?

These are my audio/wav/akai:

sample%20CDs%20001.jpg

Big Fish Audio Rich Mendelson Freaky Jazzy Funky

Masterbits Salsa Picante

The Museum of Synthesizer Technology Astral Ambience

Green Sound Chinese Percussion

Green Sound Pipa & Liuqin

Zero-G Cuckooland Vol. 1 'Unhinged'

Zero-G Cuckooland Vol. 2 'Ghost in the machine'

eLAB X-Static Goldmine 1

Universal Sound Bank Electric & Acoustic Bass

Spectrasonics Bass Legends Vol. 1

AMG 160dB - The Drum & Bass Interface

AMG Full Phat

Ilio Analog Meltdown

Sounds Good New World Order - Journey # 2

Best Service Dance MegaDrums

Best Service Dance Mega Jungle/Rave

Best Service Hallelujah

Big Fish Audio Voltage

Ueberschall Easy Listening

Sonic Foundry New York Dance

Stand By Music Pro. B-3 Organ - The Legend

Universal Sound Bank Def House

Wink Music Group, Inc. World Sounds Vol. 1

Universal Sound Bank Raricussions

Universal Sound Bank Church Organs

Zero-G Ethnic

eLAB X-Files of Techno

Q Up Arts The Denny Jaeger Private Collection Vol. 1

Zero-G Datafile One

Zero-G Datafile Two

Zero-G Datafile Three

Universal Sound Bank Twisted Special FX

Universal Sound Bank Old School Keyboards

Best Service World Colours

Midi Mark MPC Hip Hop to R&B Waves

Midi Mark Vocal Bytes 2

Keyfax Bill Bruford - Packet of 3

Sampleheads New York City Percussionworks

Sonic Reality Interactive String Section

Big Fish Audio Roots of South America

Sound + Vision Gigapack

Sound + Vision Gigapack 2

Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices

eLAB Smokers Delight

Midi Mark Funky Ass Guitars

Sonic Reality Concert Grand Pianos

Zero-G Junk Percussion

Zero-G Phantom Horns

Best Service Orchestral Colours

Q Up Arts Street Beats

AMG Guitarras

• Members

I may be in the minority or just plain unlucky here, but pretty much every sample CD I have bought has been terrible... jazz drum loops that all sound the same, funky drum loops that you can't loop properly because of some stupid fill and horn riffs that are out of key...

I remember getting one of the Uberschall Sample CDs with the Ensoniq VFX, M1, D50 and so on on it and I couldn't even get one sample to sound even half decent because I think they compressed/limited the whole CD when mastering...

The Reason refills I have bought don't seem to be very musical, like they've been put together by someone who doesn't know that rhodes/piano/organ doesn't have a long release... and they are HUGE samples too...

Am I alone on this...?

Most of my samples tend to be home grown.... that is I sample them from my own keyboards..

• Members

I started collecting sample CDs in 1990 and now I have a fairly flexible library for many genres.

Fantastic collection! My first sample cd i bought was Poke In The Ear. I think the year was 1995. I sometime borrow cd's from a friend who has a studio - just to hear what's on them, but i don't use them. IMHO, sample cd's were much better in the early 90's. All the sounds were better back then, and there was much more experimenting. Today it is all about who will have a bigger Steinway or who will make larger Symphonic orchestra samples.

Due to aging of the media, i've put all my sample cd's on the hard drive. My advice is you do the same, asap. Buy a fast SATA2 disk, name it "Sample CD's" and put everything on it. If some disk is hardly readable, just let the Nero read it slowly - this can take 2 hours, but it works in many cases.

• Members

Offtopic (for Paolo):

Hey man, haven't seen you around here for quite a while. Just wanted to let you know i've found this great vintage movie. Inspired by your previous avatar from Vampiros Lesbos, i though this would interest you. When i saw it first time, i've said "LOL! This is a movie for Paolo!". :lol:

I took first 90 seconds to give you idea of the "content": AVI file, along with the title so that you can pick it up. If you can't find it, let me know, i'll send you a dvd copy.

• Members

Fantastic collection! My first sample cd i bought was Poke In The Ear. I think the year was 1995. I sometime borrow cd's from a friend who has a studio - just to hear what's on them, but i don't use them. IMHO, sample cd's were much better in the early 90's. All the sounds were better back then, and there was much more experimenting. Today it is all about who will have a bigger Steinway or who will make larger Symphonic orchestra samples.

Due to aging of the media, i've put all my sample cd's on the hard drive. My advice is you do the same, asap. Buy a fast SATA2 disk, name it "Sample CD's" and put everything on it. If some disk is hardly readable, just let the Nero read it slowly - this can take 2 hours, but it works in many cases.

Hi Don, I've been here, just not posting much... good suggestion about saving all the CDs in the hard drive - I actually started doing that a few years ago - I have the ones I used the most always available on the HD.

Thank you also for the clip, ha - Faster pussycat kill kill is a classic :D but like I told you in the past, I like the music from the '60s, not necessarily the cinematography! :D

• Members

I use a reel to reel field recorder or a minidisc recorder and run actual found sounds through pro tools 7.4 or just tinker at home with the flute or violin or guitar and do the same thing ,gets great results and I know where they came from, I also just purchased a function generator for edgy synth sounds, that thing is GREAT!!!

• 12 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived