Xotic bb preamp

• Members

I am trying to find a dirt pedal that can come fairly close to emulating the distorted channel on my Orange. I would like to be able to get the same tones I get from my current set up, but be able to run delays and reverbs after the dirt.

I stopped at the only local shop that has fairly boutique stuff to try out a combination of fulldrive/ocd together. They of course were out of both, so I tried out the T Rex Mudhoney. I'd heard good things about it having "amp like" tones . I a/b'd it with the dirt channel on an Orange and could get fairly close, but it lacked the clarity and was too bottom heavy for my tastes.

Just as I was leaving, an employee that actually understood what I was talking about told me I should check out the xotic bb preamp. He said it coild easily give me the Orange sound, and probably had more gain. He dodged every question I asked about the fulltone stuff and basically tried to get me to order the xotic, because they didn't have it in stock.

Does anyone have a BB preamp that can tell me how gainy it gets? I'm looking for jcm 800 ish tones with a bit more gain, that I can boost into the brutalz with an overdrive.

Sorry for the long winded and probably hard to understand post.

GO!

• Members

I had one for a while. I don't think you'll get any brutalness out of it. It's too soft sounding.

I also didn't think it sounded all that Orangeish.

That's what I figured was the case, considering one of the salesdude's main points was "its orange man!"

• Members

That's what I figured was the case, considering one of the salesdude's main points was "its orange man!"

I mean, it sounds really good, but Oranges have got their own thing going on in the mids that the BB just doesn't have.

• Members

OLC Orange Peel

I've thought about this. I believe its based on the older OR oranges if I recall correctly, though. I don't know if those sound like the rocker or have as much gain available.

Anyone have any info on the orange peel?

Archived