Lets talk interfaces

SoundwaveLove

• Members

i'm pretty stoked about the new 828, the mark three.

i know it's out of your budget, but this thing can take care of quite a bit of mixing and routing, and it's got mic inputs on the front, which is bitchin.

and it's got reverb built in. INCLUDED. REVERB. in a similar fashion to all Roland gear, which also includes built in reverb.

• Members

Any opinions on the MOTU 828mkII ... How does it work with Intel Macs?

How does the USB work real-world regarding simultaneous track recording?

MOTU does a great job keeping up with driver updates, etc.; I basically had no problems with an 828 Mk II and a MacBook Pro. As noted just above, MOTU has now introduced the Mk 3 with onboard effects and EQ, and this seems to be the new trend in computer audio interfaces.

TC Electronic introduced the Studio Konnekt 48 late last year which has similar specs as well as onboard effects, but they had a great deal of difficulty getting working drivers with both Mac and PC. Since the 2.0 drivers last month, the problems seem to be solved, but I am wary (that and they are "merging" with Gibson).

I recently sold my 828Mk2 and am also looking for a new interface, considering:

Apogee Ensemble

Studio Konnekt 48

Metric Halo 8228

RME

I basically need a decent number of inputs for my hardware synths, not as concerned with a high-end mic pre. Another option (in this price range) would be to get a high end summing mixer (like a Speck X.sum) and run the output into an Apogee Duet.

• Members

I basically need a decent number of inputs for my hardware synths, not as concerned with a high-end mic pre

Hi Marzzz,

Just wondering. Did you have your synths directly connected to the audio interface you sold? Did that interface have gain on the line inputs through its proprietary software control [if it has one]?

Like you, I wanted to switch to a multi-input audio interface to use my synths and got an Aardvark Aark24 which has 8 1/4" analog inputs [no preamps] only to find out that those inputs cannot be boosted [the recorded signal from the synths is very weak].

So now I have no choice but buy a mixer to boost the synths volume before it reaches the line inputs on the interface, which means I will only be using 2 inputs out of the 8 that this interface provides, lol:cry:

A24_FrontwCard-4f4ca4ed74988f553c79cfa18

• Members

?

Yes and yes- the reason I went with a MOTU 828 in the first place was to go mixerless. Everything I do is pretty much in software. The hardware synths were plugged directly into the interface, and the volume knob of each synth was at maximum. I was then able to control synth volume via MIDI, and the MOTU interface did allow gain adjustment from both its front panel as well as the MOTU Cuemix software.

Like you, I wanted to switch to a multi-input audio interface to use my synths and got an Aardvark Aark24 which has 8 1/4" analog inputs [no preamps] only to find out that those inputs cannot be boosted [the recorded signal from the synths is very weak].

Hmmm....the signal from the synths should be enough to drive the inputs pretty well, if anything, I find I have to turn things down in order not to overload and distort the analog inputs. Could you possibly have a faulty unit?

So now I have no choice but buy a mixer to boost the synths volume before it reaches the line inputs on the interface, which means I will only be using 2 inputs out of the 8 that this interface provides,

Well, I would consider checking out another interface, the whole point of these things is to lose the mixer and be able to do everything internally. There are a lot of decent interfaces with plenty of inputs in the $500 range that will do an adequate job. At the very least, you can get a decent 2-4 input interface and a nice summing rack mixer (Ashly or Rane, about $500, or the behringer eurorack for like $130).

• Members

I know this is slightly skewed to the topic so sorry, but I bit my tongue, went one of the other Guitar Centers here in town and bought the PreSonus FireBox and it is working excellently. No problems installing, all the windows and winamp and other audio players works properly. I will probably have more to say about it (which I'll do in another thread) once I get everything hooked up properly (still a couple of cables I have to go get to connect my external synth Boss DS 330 to the Firebox). I'm happy after many days of frustration...

KAC

• Members

I know this is slightly skewed to the topic so sorry, but I bit my tongue, went one of the other Guitar Centers here in town and bought the PreSonus FireBox and it is working excellently. No problems installing, all the windows and winamp and other audio players works properly. I will probably have more to say about it (which I'll do in another thread) once I get everything hooked up properly (still a couple of cables I have to go get to connect my external synth Boss DS 330 to the Firebox). I'm happy after many days of frustration...

KAC

But with only one digital I/O does this mean it can't be setup for 4 aux/send?

• Members

But with only one digital I/O does this mean it can't be setup for 4 aux/send?

Not sure exactly what you're asking but you can, via the software mixer, send the output(s) from the input or sequencer/softsynths to whichever of the outputs you want to.

...re-read your original posting....no my solution is not intended to address your needs. That's why I was saying it was slight off topic.

The firebox 2 line, 2 mic/instrument and 1 SPDIF inputs, but as I said these can be routed both through the mixer and through your sequencer/vst host.

KAC

• Members

Hmmm....the signal from the synths should be enough to drive the inputs pretty well, if anything, I find I have to turn things down in order not to overload and distort the analog inputs. Could you possibly have a faulty unit?

Hi Marzzz,

Wow, I really wish I were in your shoes!

I have 2 of the exact same interface [Aardvark Aark24]. I don't think they are faulty as both are on 2 different PCs, hooked up to different synths.

With the volume all the way up on any synth, the input signal on each interface is very low [on the software console of the interface, the input meters hit around -20dB at the most] and I always end up "normalizing" my recordings on Wavelab, which is something I hate to do.

The funny thing is that the input faders on the software console have no effect on the input signal: they only function as playback volume, and whether I slide them all the way down or all the way up, the recorded signal is exactly the same [very low].

I did use a mixer in the past [a Behringer], but I didn't like the quality of my recordings as they were noisy, which is why I got rid of it and bought this interface since it has so many inputs thinking it would be much better to hook up the synths directly to it [no need for a mixer]. But it's not working obviously and here I am at square zero.

I am thinking about starting a thread to ask a favor from synths users. I want to send the interface to anyone [in the US] willing to test this audio interface for me. I would appreciate the help very much.

That will be the last resort. If the test proves there's nothing wrong with the interface, I'll have no choice but buy a mixer. I need time to study mixers more in depth before I buy one anyway.

• Members

Does anyone know of some good Firewire D/A convertors out there? I already have my A/D convertor, but I would need a D/A convertor. I'm also trying to figure out how everything would be connected with a seperate A/D and D/A convertor. The D/A and A/D convertors would have to be connected by S/PDIF, but my A/D convertor doesn't have Firewire, which I need to connect to my Macbook.

Any opinions on the MOTU 828mkII ... How does it work with Intel Macs?

How does the USB work real-world regarding simultaneous track recording?

The 828 I have works flawlessly on my Intel Macbook. That's the one peice I never have to worry about.

• Members

stikygum: I am really happy with RME stuff. I have their Multiface for I/O and am thinking about adding their D/A box for extra outputs for my live band. It has SPDIF, lightpipe, ADAT, firewire ins 'n outs so would probably talk to your gear OK. And the converters are some of the best in the biz. Not cheap, unfortunately...

• Members

The Echo Audiofire 8 sounds right up your alley. It doesn't do 192khz, but it has 8 balanced I/O (obviously), two preamps w/ phantom power (with a universal input so it automatically switches to hiZ for instruments like guitar), a very nice console, and a headphone amp with independent volume control on the front panel. It's also pretty reasonable, I don't remember what I paid for mine but it wasn't too much. I think about $500 is what MAP is, but IIRC I got it for somewhat less than that.

For doing aux sends you just use an I/O pair and configure it in software - no physical controls but the software console is really very handy, and it's easy to run on top of the host.

It's also got MIDI I/O, SPDIF I/O, and wordclock I/O, but I don't use that stuff TBH.

Also, the converters are pretty nice, easily the best in the price range. I believe they're the same as in the fireface, but don't quote me - either way the real-world performance as well as the specs are very nice.
:)

I'm a big Audiofire fan. Excellent interface for the price.

Archived