powering Line 6 modelers

johnrambo

• Members
for some reason i though the line6 pedals were AC and the 1spot was DC. maybe they are and it doesn't matter
:idk:

It definitely matters. The Line 6 pedals are DC. There's a bunch of info on this on the Visual Sound website.

• Members
for some reason i though the line6 pedals were AC and the 1spot was DC. maybe they are and it doesn't matter
:idk:

Nope. I believe the adapter is called an "L6 adapter". But yeah, it works, I have two of them on my board (FM4 and DL4) and there are like 13 other pedals hooked up to the 1-spot with them, no noise issues at all.

• Members

It definitely matters. The Line 6 pedals are DC. There's a bunch of info on this on the Visual Sound website.

that's weird. the line6 adapter i got with my fm4 says AC right on top of it. maybe that's not what it's refering to?

• Members

nevermind. i found it:

How does the 1 SPOT work with Line 6 modeling pedals? Don't they require AC and use 1200mA of current?

Well, it does say "9VAC 1200mA" on the back of the Line 6 pedals, but they don't really use that. That is simply the output rating of the POD adapter which the modeling pedals also use. If you think about it, the Line 6 pedals take batteries, don't they? Batteries are DC, not AC, so the pedals must really run on DC voltage. So how do they work with a 9VAC POD adapter? The modeling pedals have a bridge rectifier at the power input jack which immediately converts AC to DC where the adapter plugs in. And regarding the 1200mA of current the pedals are supposedly using, it's really more in the range of 350mA. That's still more than an average adapter can handle, but the 1 SPOT can handle two Line 6 pedals and have plenty of juice left over for several ordinary stomp boxes. Why Line 6 didn't come out with a separate adapter for the modeling pedals, I don't know, but the 1 SPOT makes an excellent alternative to the bulky single-purpose POD adapter.

• Members
voodoo labs PP2+ will also power it

This is true but when you have 2 line 6 modelers in outputs 5 & 6 it may not provide enough power to power both. There's been issues with that for many people. I was one of them when I used to have both the dl-4 & fm4 (I still have the fm4) and the dl-4 wasn't getting enough juice to stay on. I don't know why that is, but it sucks :facepalm:

• Members
This is true but when you have 2 line 6 modelers in outputs 5 & 6 it may not provide enough power to power both. There's been issues with that for many people. I was one of them when I used to have both the dl-4 & fm4 (I still have the fm4) and the dl-4 wasn't getting enough juice to stay on. I don't know why that is, but it sucks
:facepalm:

what do you think of the fm4? i traded for one on a whim and am anxious to get home and try it out. if i can pull a good 440 sound and a "stir it up" synth sound i'd be pretty happy.

• Members

what do you think of the fm4? i traded for one on a whim and am anxious to get home and try it out. if i can pull a good 440 sound and a "stir it up" synth sound i'd be pretty happy.

I have one, but I haven't really found too many uses for it yet. I like the step function setting, it's really nice but as for the synth tones I haven't had a chance to sit down and figure out something that will be musically applicable for me. It's definitely fun just to screw around with though.

• Members

you can get some seriously nice textures out of it. it's not a pedal to overuse in a band situation (depending on what you play I'm in a prog rock/experimental band) but it can add such in your face noise or subtle effects making ears perk up.

• Members

one spot, god lyke, they will work with line 6 with the green adaptor... i have powered 3 line 6 pedals with a godlyke.

no problems.

So there is no power/conversion difference between the Godlyke and the One Spot?!? I thought the 'green adaptor' was only compatible with the Godlyke Powerall.

I'd prefer a Godlyke but don't have a dist. here.

Again, me = major :facepalm:

Archived