Dorm room players

pan760

• Members

what are your experiences with having your gear in the room.

i bought a small practice amp and a cheap guitar cause i dont want to bring my nice stuff to college, but i want to bring my pedalboard.

did you get people wanting to asking to use your gear? were you able to play without complaints?

• Members

I brought my squire Classic vibe strat, and im playing into my macbook.

I feel that anything you bring will be too loud. Unless you have really chill room mates.

you play into your macbook how? using garageband?

• Members

I just brought my acoustic the first couple years - no problems there. Last year I brought my tele, amp, pedals... the whole setup (though it wasn't as much as the end of the year... I think pedal number doubled). The only amp I have is a Deville 212, so I basically just have to practice at about 1. On show days and weekends, I'd maybe turn up to 2, but not far beyond it. I never got complaints, but as the year rolled on, people would mention that they heard or enjoyed it, so I was just lucky that nobody on my side of the floor was bothered by it. I was in a single room, so no roommate. My best friend lived across the hall, and he'd blast music all the time, so we'd just open our doors and have across-the-hall jams some afternoons. The guy that lived next to me was almost never there. The guy diagonal from me could be heard playing his acoustic and singing with his girlfriend pretty regularly.

So the short version is I got really lucky last year, and I only had to turn down a little. I wish you the same luck, and I hope that my situation is similar this year. :)

• Members

Heh. I daisy chained two SS 100W 12" combos and cranked my Strat through them. No complaints about volume as long as I didn't do it too early or too late. Of course, down the hall, 2 rooms conglomerated to have a sleeping room (4 guys slept in there) and an entertainment room- several hundred watts running through subs and surround sound, big screen TV, comfy couches... so we were no stranger to noise. Back then I didn't rock a pedal board, so setup was substantially easier.

And no, I rarely had anybody come ask to use my gear. Nearly everybody on my floor played guitar to some degree (and the one guy who didn't was a pure bassist), so we all kinda knew the musician ground rules.

• Members
no one ever asked to use my gear and I brought like a full set up

American strat > Pedalboard > Hotrod Deluxe
:)

The people that played on my floor didn't know gear to save their lives so I was set

ha thats basically the set up i'm leaving at home.

• Members

I brought my bassman, a 2x12, and my main guitar (though its a cheap one I originally bought just for college). I never got any noise complaints (I never cranked the amp, but I played relatively loud at some hours of the day). I usually played around noonish; when everyone was awake and most people were at class or doing nothing in their room. Once some guy upstairs asked to borrow the bassman. I said no. The end.

Archived