Recommend me a compressor for my rig?

SUV Steve

• Members

Hello. Looking for something to get some quasi-Tele-country sounds. The base sound is a faded LPDC w/P90's, running at about half up on the volume knob into clean channel of a Crate Vintage Club 30 (Vox-ish amp.) Not looking to use this for lead boost or other uses, nor would I be using it for more than say 10% of the tunes, so my main requirement is transparency when bypassed. I would like to keep the price to around $80. From what I have read here I have come up with the Moen Uni-comp and Guyatone St-2 as possibilities - leaning towards the Moen due to the EQ function being maybe more useful than blend in this situation. Any thoughts on these two, or other suggestions for my purposes? Thanks

• Members

For your price range:

I like my MXR Dyna Comp.

Also the Digitech Main Squeeze, which by chance I have up for sale / trade: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2410037 ;)

But seriously, I like the Dyna Comp - non-modded - brings out each note more clearly, but it colors tone and makes things generally darker. (I'm keeping mine for a while - just seems to hold everything together for me, and not too pricey).

The Digitech Main Squeeze might be more squishy and pronounced / brighter for the Tele country sound you're looking for. The eq nob helps too.

Good luck

Archived