Alesis fusion HD,you pays the price of a softsynth now?!

sinew1958

• Members

180 voice polyphony,sample playback,virtual analog,fm,physical modeling,32 track sequencer,40 GB,plenty of internal effects,8 track digital recorder,you can buy it for less than 700.Truly a bargain.

This synth is well worth the money.This workstation currently offers more than most in a currently rugged,robust and stable platform.

And the sounds are good.And with the latest version,very stable.:poke:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't call it a workstation because its not nearly as flexible and capable in that regard as something from Korg, Roland or Yamaha ...

It's more of an excellent sounding unknobby digital synth with sampling and a sequencer section you may end up never using ...

Mine has been put away again ...

• Members

180 voice polyphony,sample playback,virtual analog,fm,physical modeling,32 track sequencer,40 GB,plenty of internal effects,8 track digital recorder,you can buy it for less than 700.Truly a bargain.

This synth is well worth the money.This workstation currently offers more than most in a currently rugged,robust and stable platform.

And the sounds are good.And with the latest version,very stable.:poke:

And now we've got some great new choir sounds to add to our growing sound collection: http://www.hollowsun.com/downloads/index.html

This is probably the best value new synthesizer ever isn't it?

• Members

I wouldn't call it a workstation because its not nearly as flexible and capable in that regard as something from Korg, Roland or Yamaha ...

It's more of an excellent sounding unknobby digital synth with sampling and a sequencer section you may end up never using ...

Mine has been put away again ...

Money,money,for that price?!!!!Certain for students the best option.

Korg,roland,ok it sounds better but so much better?I don't now.

• Members

My contention is that people shouldn't think of it as a "real" workstation and they won't be disappointed with it ... It can sound just as good if not better than the big three ...

... the problem is the samples available for it ... when people think of typical workstation sounds*

• Members

Well, it does have all the expected features of a workstation.

I'd recommend it way more as a multiple-type synthesis board though.

Like you say, the types of sounds you'd expect when you hear the word 'workstation', are a bit hit or miss.

• Members

Well, it does have all the expected features of a workstation.

I'd recommend it way more as a multiple-type synthesis board though.

Like you say, the types of sounds you'd expect when you hear the word 'workstation', are a bit hit or miss.

Yep I'm looking at marrying mine with an MV8800 - the synthesis techniques when combined and the key action on the 8HD really can't be beat.

Besides which the VA does 50's sci-fi, 70's and 80's retro FM really well.

Anybody else fed their drum machine through the inputs and used Audio in as an FM source in the VA engine :love::love::love::love:.

• Members

.And with the latest version,very stable.:poke:

I beg to differ. There are people who are still having issues regarding stability with the latest version. I've read quite a few threads in many different forums regarding this exact issue.

• Members

I finally got to play one and spend some time tinkering. I gotta say, I found the preset patches to be laughably bad.:lol:

I'm definitely not the target audience. Err, if there is a target audience.:confused: I am not a tweaker or a sound designer, I just wanna open the box and play. Its definitely not designed for that. Its an interesting concept, and it sure packs a wallop feature-wise, Its kinda like the swiss army knife of synths. I even liked the looks, I thought it was cool.

Soundwise, geez Louise.:freak: The rompler sounds were actually making me laugh, and I am an utra-serious nerd who never laughs.:lol: Its as if they tried to put every single thing in the history of synths into it, yet put no thought or time into making the presets sound even passable.

• Members

My contention is that people shouldn't think of it as a "real" workstation and they won't be disappointed with it ... It can sound just as good if not better than the big three ...

... the problem is the samples available for it ... when people think of typical workstation sounds*

• Members

If you want expandability and a good VA synth it is the nadgers. It's not one for the "presets only" crowd but they're probably playing in bands and don't care what they have anyway.

and dont base it on the presets!!!

go listen to some of the hollow sun packs, KPR, Vstream and others who are doing presets for the Fusion

They will blow you away with the capabilities of the Fusion

:thu:

• Members

I finally got to play one and spend some time tinkering. I gotta say, I found the preset patches to be laughably bad.
:lol:

I'm definitely not the target audience. Err, if there is a target audience.
:confused:
I am not a tweaker or a sound designer, I just wanna open the box and play. Its definitely not designed for that. Its an interesting concept, and it sure packs a wallop feature-wise, Its kinda like the swiss army knife of synths. I even liked the looks, I thought it was cool.

Soundwise, geez Louise.
:freak:
The rompler sounds were actually making me laugh, and I am an utra-serious nerd who never laughs.
:lol:
Its as if they tried to put every single thing in the history of synths into it, yet put no thought or time into making the presets sound even passable.

In all fairness the board needs the full HollowSun pack + Nebula, the KPR and other soundsets plus OS1.24 loaded to really see it's potential.

All those rompler sounds can FM each other for example for all sorts of weird metallic hybrids and still utilize the egs + lfo's + modmatrix for some great stuff even from the {censored}ty GM bank.

It really does do some superb FM synthesis and the VA section is the dogs dangly bits.

Layering PM/VA/FM and S&S is where this synth really shines IMHO.

It can sound remarkably like an Emu EII+, Fairlight IIX, SY77, Yamaha CS series synths, DX7 and even excell at D50ish timbres if you mix the S&S and VA sections together well enough (and yes I've used all of them and still own a EII+ (foolishly sold my EIII keyboard though years back).

Definitely a programmers board though none the less but alot of the 3rd party sound sets do show of the unit in a totally different light.

It thankfully doesn't have spit and polis of a modern Yamaha, the plastic like tones of a Roland or the polish a turd sheen of many Korg patches.

That said many of my favourite synths where never hugely popular ala Kawai K1, K4R, Yamaha SY22, Alesis Quadrasynth, Kawai K5 and K5000, Casio CZ5000, FZ-1, VZ and certain Akai Analogs ala AX60 and AX73 or the Ensoniq VFXSD or the Prophet 2002 and 2002+ (all of which I've owned at some statge in my life).

I would personally love to marry the synth with an Emu Morpheus and UltraProteus a CZ101 and say an AX60 and I'd be quite happy myself.

Just saving up to get a heap of hardware back ( 5 years will a laptop is five years to many in my book) ....however I do digress to much and this thread is about the Fusion after all.

Anyone in Oz has a Morpheus or UltraProteus for sale PM me ok :D.

• Members

What it shows to me is approx how much that sort of hard ware costs.

There's a big difference between how much it costs to just build the hardware and the (much larger) cost of developing the product in the first place.

Just one custom IC costs millions of dollars to develop nowadays, how many are in the Fusion?

• Members

I got one of the last "Sweetwater" edition Fusion8HDs, and although I have a lot more to learn about this board I agree with much of what has been said here. The Rompler presets are quite mediocre, but once you listen to some of the Hollow Sun banks and experiment with layering the different types of synthesis the Fusion is a deep and powerful beast - it's the K2000 for this decade. If you just need to call up some nice presets and play, a Roland Fantom or Yamaha Motif might be a better choice. If you want to spend many hours exploring some amazing sonic possibilities the Fusion is an incredible bargain.

• Members

In all fairness the board needs the full HollowSun pack + Nebula, the KPR and other soundsets plus OS1.24 loaded to really see it's potential.

This was very obvious to me.:lol::lol:

I am referring more to its sales and its falling price. When one goes to the store and tries it, its not particularly impressive. Its as if the sales guy should say "I know it sounds bad, but mess with it and it wont". Thats not going to install a lot of consumer confidence.

I'm sure it has tremendous potential, most synths do. I was considering buying one since its a great price. I just dont have the patience for it, I need to open the box and play. I'm not the only one, since they are selling em so cheap.

Archived