Monte Allums MODS

aehoff

• Members

Hey guys,

I thinking about going for the Monte Allums RAT2 and MXR DynaComp mods. Any complaints or would I be doing the world a favor by getting them?

Let me know any experience you may have with them.

I need incited before I get excited!

Andrew

• Members

I have no experience with those particular mods, but I have done Monte Allums Mods on a boss SD1, BD2, DS1, GE7, and CS3. All MASSIVE improvements.

Haven't kept the BD2 or DS1, just as a matter of taste, but the others sit smugly on my board showing the more boutique pedals on my board how its done.

If I were in your position I'd totally go for it.

• Members

I did the Rectifier Tri-Gain for the DS-1 last week, and it was

A) a MAJOR improvement over the circuitry and

B) simple as hell to install

He pretty much charges parts with a bit of change for the information (which is a totally fair price for it, since I would have chucked a DS-1 before doing the mod and I'll be damned if I could figure out the mod myself).

Do it, you will not regret.

• Members

How would you describe the change in the tone of the BD-2, krish?

I did the "H2O" mod on mine.

To sum it up, it basically removed all the bad things about the pedal, and enhanced the good things. When it was stock, the BD-2 sounded quite harmonically rich but always fizzed up when the gain started being pushed to levels that I wanted. I found the bass response to be a bit too flabby as well. The mod fattened everything up, got rid of that fizz, and the pedal basically had crystal clear transparent drive for days. The bass tightened a bit, but not too much such to destroy the pedals character. Really worked well with both single coils and humbuckers.

I sold the pedal because I found it didn't work the way I wanted for driving an already overdriven amp. I needed something closer to a TS type pedal (hence I've kept the SD-1). It was fantastic as a stand-alone OD pedal (it rivalled my OCD v3 in that respect) but this just didnt suit my setup.

• Members

I did the BD-2 Blues Stack mod which is like the H20 but focuses more around the dual opamps to eliminate the nasty decay which it KINDA did but not fully which is a real bummer. The pedal sounds way better but the decay is still present which sucks.

Archived