Knock on Wood Philosophy

Deeprig9

• Members

Our singer/pianist has a masters and teaches/performs for a living. He was saying the other day how you can knock on a piano and tell if it's worth a {censored}, or how it will sound when played. He explained that it's an acoustic percussion instrument, and just like a drum or an acoustic guitar, or upright bass, the wood and the craftsmanship is apparent to an experienced person, and mostly just by knocking on it and listening to the sound.

What do you think about this?

• Members

Sorry for dragging my ass like a worm-infested hound dog over dry slate.

I think if you could drag a worm-infested hound dog's ass over dry slate you could tell if the piece of slate is worth a {censored}.

Or, alternately, you could drag a worm-infested hound dog over your ass and see if you're worth a {censored}ty slate.

See how it works?

• Members

Our singer/pianist has a masters and teaches/performs for a living.

OK.

Is he any good at it??:confused::lol: Getting a masters in music isnt much harder than getting a degree in Basketball. Most performance classes are graded by attendance, so show up and get an automatic A.

He explained that it's an acoustic percussion instrument, and just like a drum or an acoustic guitar, or upright bass, the wood and the craftsmanship is apparent to an experienced person, and mostly just by knocking on it and listening to the sound.

He is correct in one way: a well-built instrument can be spotted by the eye. By looking at a stringed instrument, I can tell you if it was well crafted by examining the purfling, pegs, F holes, etc. Surely a pianist can do the same and see if it was well crafted. It doesnt mean it will SOUND good, but you generally have to have that first. Not having that assures you it is going to sound like crap.

• Members

He is correct in one way: a well-built instrument can be spotted by the
eye
. By looking at a stringed instrument, I can tell you if it was well crafted by examining the purfling, pegs, F holes, etc. Surely a pianist can do the same and see if it was well crafted. It doesnt mean it will SOUND good, but you generally have to have that first. Not having that assures you it is going to sound like crap.

See, this is why it's easy to say recent Korg products are {censored}, because they are built like {censored}.

• Members

Well I have heard the joke that you can look at a group of old Gibson arch-tops and decide which ones sound best by finding the most beat-up of the bunch. The question is, do they sound good because they are beat up or are they beat up because the sound good and everyone has played them?

Archived