Overdrive/fuzz pedals that work with the Fender Twin Reverb

Fir3Spell

• Members

Hi

I want to use live both my fender hot rod and twin reverb but all the pedals tha sound good with the hot rod don't sound good with twin reverb... I have a maestro fuzz, fuzz factory, mastotron, a boss blues driver, a fender blender and a mxr blue box.

Can you recommend me a overdrive/fuzz that works well with the twin reverb?

• Members

I used to run both together (Twin and Hot Rod) and Fulldrive 2s sounded fantastic... SRB808s sounded great... so Tubescreamers, yes... as far as fuzzes go... The Keeley Fuzz Head sounded great... Fuzz Factory kinda sounded bad with the twin, but sounded great on the Hot Rod... Durham Crazy Horse sounded great with both... so just try some stuff...

• Members

First off, what pickups are you using? And what type of music are you playing?

I use an old Pro Reverb (basically a Twin that's not as loud) and I get great results with tubescreamer clones. If you're looking for really cheap I recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey, which is a TS clone that's done really well for me. I use it for light breakup bluesy stuff, but it holds up pretty well for higher gain stuff considering the price.

I also agree with the fuzz face recommendation. But don't just get a stock fuzz face, because the stock modern ones get mixed reviews due to the temperamental parts inside (germanium transistors). Your best bet is getting a clone of the old fuzz face, I use a monsterpiece classic, which IS boutique (as in a small one man operation) but is actually very competitively priced (plus the bias nob gives you more tonal options than the original fuzz face).

Hope that helps.

Archived