Tried a Yamaha RGX-A2 today...

soulsonic

• Members

... and I can't decide if it was any good or not. It played nice and sounded nice, something seemed to be really wrong with the pickup selector switch. It was really hard to turn. I don't see how it would be possible to switch pickups quickly with it like that. Anyone know if that's normal? I mean it seemed REALLY hard to turn, and maybe looked slightly pushed in like it may be damaged. The store is looking to sell it for crazy cheap because it's been on the wall forever and they want to be rid of it. I also really wish it had a tone control because the pickups are a bit twangy.

Anyone have opinions about these. It seems like it would be such a cool guitar, but this one seems to have alot of little :wtf: things going on. I'm only considering it now because of how cheap it's going for... actually quite disappointed because I expected something nicer.

And another thing... wtf is up with these new Ibanez RGs being made in Indonesia? Is Korea too expensive now? Damn.

• Members

I played around with one for a bit, was interested in buying it off a friend so I borrowed it for about three weeks. To be honest, it had a real good clean sound, but I was never happy with it overdriven or on a lead type setting. The neck felt good, but I wasn't happy with it's playability. Something didn't feel right.

I also agree that the pickup selector wasn't very smooth. For what it was going for, I don't think it was worth that. My father owns one he picked up at GC a couple years back on sale for $99 on a list sale they did. He sets the action high and plays slide on it in funky tunings. I just couldn't bond with it.

Quality built guitar, but definatly has it's own sound, especially with those sound tubes in the body along with those interesting mini buckers. I'd like to see it with a coil tapping function and maybe a different neck. The tuners were freaking awesome though. About the only thing I really really liked about it.

Archived