Boss RE-20 reverb questions...

Unfed

• Members

looking at picking up an RE-20, have a couple questions about the on-board reverb...

- is the reverb effect routed after the echo/delay (in serial), or parallel to it? read through the manual but it didn't explain this very well at all.

- i'm guessing this is modeled after the spring reverb of the original? how does it sound as a spring reverb in general, or compared to something like the new FRV-1 spring reverb? is it a very 'wet' sound?

thanks!

• Members

I can't speak about the reverb's placement, but as for the its quality.... it sounds like ass, just like the reverb in the machines it replicates. That's one area I wish they weren't so faithful in reproducing.

Imagine if they put the greatest sounding reverb in the world into it. Everyone would then complain that it doesn't correctly model the original.

• Members

One thing that I haven't seen many comments on is that the reverb sounds phenomenal in stereo. I've got mine set up for recording, with the RE-20 going in stereo into the 4-track I'm using as a mixer. The reverb sounds almost 3-dimensional.

However, as CicadaSilence noted, you get the reverb sound, and then the delay sounds are dry, so it can sound a little strange.

• Members

cool, thanks for the info! i'm looking to use one (or two) on the aux channels of my mixer for some dub-type production. i'll probably look into the FRV-1 or another type of spring reverb for the master fx loop. it's a toss-up between these or going with analog delays (tape echos seem to be more expensive and possibly more of a hassle) and a true spring reverb, but these cost roughly the same and might give more functionality overall. i think i'll start by grabbing the RE-20 and seeing how i like it.

Archived