BBE AM64 American Metal...any info or clips?

schenkadere

• Members

I haven't heard it, but recall someone posting here who tried it and said it was awful. It hasn't gotten much buzz here or elsewhere for a reason. It's really cheap too, price wise isn't it?

I was guessing for some reason that it would be the usual fizzy, overly bright kind of pedal. Usually anything with the word "metal" in the name is sucky and disappointing. I think I'll save my 40 bucks.

The fact that BBE makes no reference to it on their website is rather telling too.:idk:

• Members

True...you never know. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'm so ultra picky about OD and Distortion. I haven't found a true distortion pedal I've ever really liked. The MXR Classic is great, but hardly a true distortion...much more an OD. The Rat is the closest I've come, but never really loved it...I'll bet the Keeley Rat would be awesome, but too pricey for me.

• Members

If you want a really good overdrive/distortion, I've found after trying a lot out, that you either need to spend the money, or get a good amp (and so even more money) to get that tone you want.

It isn't very often a $40 pedal will be that savior you're looking for. Some will argue the new Dano pedals are good, and they may be, never tried them.

But if you're willing to spend some $, there are good overdrives out there and they are worth it. So either sell other stuff you have, or save up money, or get a part time job, but good tone, does cost some money. There are bargains out there though. The OCD to me, is a bargain pedal.

The Keeler Designs Push, is not a bargain pedal. But it sounds great, and can make a clean ordinary amp sound more expensive. But if $140/$250 respectively is still too much, I might check out the Hardwire pedals, nice build quality, relative good tone, if a bit generic, and about $100 or less.

• Members

If you want a really good overdrive/distortion, I've found after trying a lot out, that you either need to spend the money, or get a good amp (and so even more money) to get that tone you want.

It isn't very often a $40 pedal will be that savior you're looking for. Some will argue the new Dano pedals are good, and they may be, never tried them.

But if you're willing to spend some $, there are good overdrives out there and they are worth it. So either sell other stuff you have, or save up money, or get a part time job, but good tone, does cost some money. There are bargains out there though. The OCD to me, is a bargain pedal.

The Keeler Designs Push, is not a bargain pedal. But it sounds great, and can make a clean ordinary amp sound more expensive. But if $140/$250 respectively is still too much, I might check out the Hardwire pedals, nice build quality, relative good tone, if a bit generic, and about $100 or less.

I've been through tons too. I have some nice pedals. I was intrigued by this one simply because of the cost. BBE pedals are usually a bit more pricey and thought this may have just been a special deal on a potentially good pedal. I'm more curious than anything.

• Members

The Kirkland, WA, GC has the AM64 for $29.99. ("get the extended warranty for only $4 more! why wouldn't you!!?" :rolleyes:)

It has a TL072CP op-amp, and two internal LEDs, I assume for clipping. Overall, the circuit board looks fairly simple. I haven't tried it out yet, but you'll find some reactions (largely positive) in these threads:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2392421&highlight=AM64

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2386531&highlight=AM64

Archived