12 string semi and full hollowbody guitars- what is different soundwise from an elec?

hangwire

• Members

Just wondering what people have noticed when playing, especially live, with a semi hollowbody or hollowbody 12 string as far as sound/tone that would be different from what I expect from playing an electric 12 string?

of note would be muddy or bad feedbacking or ??? stuff experienced.

Thanks!

• Members

Just wondering what people have noticed when playing, especially live, with a semi hollowbody or hollowbody 12 string as far as sound/tone that would be different from what I expect from playing an electric 12 string?

of note would be muddy or bad feedbacking or ??? stuff experienced.

Thanks!

i use a semi hollow dean boca 12 string (that i turned into a 9 string) live and it has a lot more mid-range than my solid body 6 strings. i also noticed that feedback a bit more of an issue with this guitar (it being semi-hollow and all), but it doesn't seem to be TOO bad.

• Members

i use a semi hollow dean boca 12 string (that i turned into a 9 string) live and it has a lot more mid-range than my solid body 6 strings. i also noticed that feedback a bit more of an issue with this guitar (it being semi-hollow and all), but it doesn't seem to be TOO bad.

more mids as in drive/gain bump, or mud?

• Members

Both myself and my guitarist in my band use gretsch full hollowbodies. The difference is a much FULLER sound, not muddy unless you eq your amp that way. It's much more rich and complex sounding in a good way.

The negatives are that there can be LOTS of feedback issues if you're running super loud or with lots of gain. It's a much different kind of guitar to play so you'll have to do a bit of adjusting to the way you play.

Personally I'll never go back to solidbodies as my main guitar. I love love love the way they sound and feel and work with everything. The feedback can be good as well if you learn to manipulate it properly.

• Members

Both myself and my guitarist in my band use gretsch full hollowbodies. The difference is a much FULLER sound, not muddy unless you eq your amp that way. It's much more rich and complex sounding in a good way.

The negatives are that there can be LOTS of feedback issues if you're running super loud or with lots of gain. It's a much different kind of guitar to play so you'll have to do a bit of adjusting to the way you play.

Personally I'll never go back to solidbodies as my main guitar. I love love love the way they sound and feel and work with everything. The feedback can be good as well if you learn to manipulate it properly.

Did you ever hear any Subrosa? Gainesville band from back in the day (post-accident For Squirrels) and I always thought Travis used aggressive distorted guitar w/ a Chet Atkins Gretsch in SUCH a cool way.

• Members

which three strings did you take off?

Archived