Does anyone listen to Children of bodom here?

• Members

Not my personal fav. lead sound (even though still good).

It is a PWN waveform put through distortion, you can just use two saw or pulse waves detuned by -4 and then some low freq flanger + distortion and other FX crap. I have heard that Jens johansson acualy gave his lead to that dude and he just changed the distorition pedal to big muff, but I dunno.

Go check the progsounds.com forums there is a guide to jens lead there, also one dude claimed that he got the acual Jens lead from jens himself and posted some details. Anyway the lead is made with JV-2080 (Roland) rack.

Anyway this is my favourite lead:

2:38

• Members

Not my personal fav. lead sound (even though still good).

It is a PWN waveform put through distortion, you can just use two saw or pulse waves detuned by -4 and then some low freq flanger + distortion and other FX crap. I have heard that Jens johansson acualy gave his lead to that dude and he just changed the distorition pedal to big muff, but I dunno.

Go check the progsounds.com forums there is a guide to jens lead there, also one dude claimed that he got the acual Jens lead from jens himself and posted some details. Anyway the lead is made with JV-2080 (Roland) rack.

Anyway this is my favourite lead:

2:38

I've heard the same (about jen giving help to Janne Warmen) Heopfully I can create the same sound with my soft synths. I'm not a keyboardist so I'll be doing the programming.

• Members

I like the Jens lead a great deal and I think it's very expressive + it's really easy to program on virtually any synth. I think it is maybe more suited to his fusion playing, just listen to the "Heavy Machinery" album, Jens' lead tone offers a great contrast with Holdsworth's guitar tone.

As for the Sonata Arctica lead (in the above link), isn't this the Jordan Liquid Lead preset from the Kurzweil K2600?

• Members

I like the Jens lead a great deal and I think it's very expressive + it's really easy to program on virtually any synth. I think it is maybe more suited to his fusion playing, just listen to the "Heavy Machinery" album, Jens' lead tone offers a great contrast with Holdsworth's guitar tone.

As for the Sonata Arctica lead (in the above link), isn't this the Jordan Liquid Lead preset from the Kurzweil K2600?

Well I'm sort on soft synths really, I've got Reason 4 (I bought it becuase it has a lot of sounds) Gforce minimonsta and NI Pro-53.

:o

• Members

Doesn't sound like that AT ALL to me at least. The rumor is henrik uses liquid lead, and it was true for live shows, it sounds a bit tweaked or at least after processed.

• Members

Wirman uses Jen's lead, just runs it through a different effects box. It's supposed to be modelled after a Minimoog. Henrik uses the Kurz preset lead.

I've been trying to finally put my Gforce minimonsta to work but no luck with CoB tones.

• Members

I've been trying to finally put my Gforce minimonsta to work but no luck with CoB tones.

Jen's uses Roland modules most of the time, so one would assume that he created it using base samples from it rather than an actual Minimoog. You also would have to take the effects unit into account I guess.

Do you mean stuff off their new album though? As I'm pretty certain that Wirman uses a modular synth (or something similar) on some of his leads as well as his standard one.

• Members

The Jens lead can be programmed on any synth with PWM, originally it was made on the Korg PolySix which is, by today's standards, a feature-limited synthesizer when compared with many softsynths. Just follow the article on Luca's site (Progsounds.com)

To replicate the sound, there is a problem though. Jens uses a rare distortion pedal made by Morely. So, obviously the final tone will depend on which distortion effect you'll use. Software, I'd suggest you try GuitarRig3 and look for a close match. I don't have it, so I do my best using what I can lay my hands on. FreeAmp3, or Voxengo Boogex are good starting points. I also heard that some players use Rat Proco, or the Big Muff with great results.

Best.

• 7 months later...

Archived