Will I appreciate a Juno-60?

Allerian

• Members

The only thing about the Juno that can't really be emulated well is the chorus,

Exactly, and the chorus is a lot of what is good about a Juno. :)

(Chorus VSTs are getting better all the time, admittedly... could pair a Reaktor with one and get pretty good results...)

• Members

I use SQ8L

It's a lovely plugin, but the GUI is horrible, and I wish I could help the author out.

Oh yeah, Don - I've finally ordered a MIDI interface for the Juno. It's not the Elektroservis one, because it was - believe it or not - overkill. I got a cheaper one from Engineers @ Work (90 euros) which does basic MIDI only. I've got an arpeggiator in Ableton which does everything the Juno arp does... can't wait to hear the quartet truly playing together. I wonder if the JU60, AJ1, JX3P and JX8P could blow a Jupiter 6 out of the water together...

• Members

It's a lovely plugin, but the GUI is horrible, and I wish I could help the author out.

Yeah. It's a pity. Such a great software and such a bad UI.

Oh yeah, Don - I've finally ordered a MIDI interface for the Juno. It's not the Elektroservis one, because it was - believe it or not - overkill. I got a cheaper one from Engineers @ Work (90 euros) which does basic MIDI only.

Additional LFO and Velocity is worth couple of Euroz more. Velocity totally expands the synth. You can make bass go: bow bow bow BAAAM, bow bow bow BAAM in a sequence style - think Depeche here....

I wonder if the JU60, AJ1, JX3P and JX8P could blow a Jupiter 6 out of the water together...

I will soon be able to check. ;) Although JP-6 is soooo agressive (and is CEM, has its own color).

• Members

id say get it. if you dont like it you can always get your money back or make a profit. the juno60 is simple relative to some other synths but its got a great tone. with its limited parameter set, its hard to make a sound that sucks. add chorus and its even harder. :) enjoy

mini

• Members

Hey all, I appreciate all the input - holy crap, Don Solaris posted in my thread and Diametro made a graphic.

:cry::thu:

Idiotboy, I appreciate your point but this is one time that adding a simpler board is maybe best. "More special" in my setup is going to mean a Q+, Andy, or Buchla and I'm not quite ready for that. I've got another young'un who is getting into keys now and having a simpler board around will ease the learning curve a bit.

Yoozer, please let us know how the midi interface works. A simple one would do me just fine too as I plan to sequence this with the MnM and use its arp.

• Members

are you insane? go get it.

and yes i must echo the sound difference observation between the 106 and the 6/60. i sold the 6, thinking i'd buy a 106 and that would be great because it would have MIDI. eh ... i never used the MIDI and missed the arpeggiator. it also just plain didn't sound as good.

then a couple years ago that Juno wound up back in my hands. it passed through the hands of about 5 different people until it wound up being given to the sixth, who realised it was the one i used to have (it's signed by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and has a big BOSS sticker on it) and decided i needed to have it back.

i told him i sold it fair and square, but he insisted.

frankly, the patch storage is nice but you barely even need it. this thing is so simple that you can easily reconstruct any sound manually in about 10-20 seconds once you get your head around it.

it's got an arpeggiator clock input and a filter CV input, so you can easily integrate it into a modular rig.

my friend Nathan is going to be making new wood for it for my birthday this year, bless his heart. apparently it's going to be purple. i'm looking forward to it.

• Members

Yoozer, please let us know how the midi interface works. A simple one would do me just fine too as I plan to sequence this with the MnM and use its arp.

Apparently, installing it is supposed to be very easy and it's a one-size-fits all kind of deal.

However, it's 90 euros (and the one Don has is 140 euros ex. VAT) which translates to rather steep dollar prices, so you might be off cheaper with a secondhand MD-8 or whatever Roland's own DCB/MIDI converter was called.

I hope to receive it this week, I'll put up pictures of the installation.

• Members

Some patches do sound close.

Ah, but you said it's not true that a Juno can be emulated. Now you're saying "well, maybe some of the sounds, kinda" ? ;) That was just a small quicky test, but I can assure everyone a wide variety of its sounds can be emulated about as closely. That's not to say there's no differences - If you know what to look for you can almost always hear them, even in those examples, and you can pick sounds were the differences matter more. But, if tweaked correctly, the point was the differences can often be small enough not to matter much even in a direct A/B comparison, much less in a mix context, and I'd be happy to back it up with even more sound examples if I still had a 60 :)

But lets even forget the chorus thing and just compare raw Juno 60 in the mix with software. Once you start doing music, you will notice Juno cuts through the mix like a knife. Unfortunately software version Juno doesn't. I know, because i record. It takes 10 times less to start a software Juno and record a song - than to waste time setting real Juno 60, then set DCB converter, then set midi cables, then go to mixing desk, set levels, set compressor, etc. Why on earth i go the harder way? There must be a reason, no?

You're using a chain of non-digital things, Vs everything coming from one digital source (your soundcard). Each of those adds very small amounts of their own colouration to the signal. Even cheap hardware compressors still seem to give better results than most software, and the same is often true for a mixers EQ Vs plugins, particularly when you want character and not "clean and clinical". But, when I hooked up a Juno 60 directly, I didn't see any big advantage cutting through a mix between it and Reaktor. The thing that made the huge difference was the chorus, which is still better than just about any VST I can think of.

FWIW, to keep things somewhat balanced, I'll explain what I did notice though. If anyone wanted to use Reaktor for its Juno 6 emulation, the ensemble tracks totally differently from the hardware (you need different settings Vs the hardware to get the same sounds). I mention that because it's not just different, it's actually waaayyyy less "musical" in usage, even though you can often eventually approximate many sounds. The filter is also not in the same class by any means, but the Juno is limited enough that you usually don't notice that much with most sounds! The Reaktor emulation was supposedly one that originated as an attempt by NI themselves back in the days of Reaktor 2 or 3, and was reposted by another user back into the NI library. It could be improved on quite significantly nowadays, such as allowing individual voice detune, better anti-aliasing, and a better attempt at the way the real filter reacts and the controls track. Plus the software chorus just plain sucks compared to the real one. Still, even with all those faults, it's close enough for a lot of things to sound more than similar, which genuinely surprised me. The more popular Junatik can get close to some 106 sounds too, but overall it's got much more of a "VA vibe" about it, and is further off the mark for that (IMO).

• Members

I think he's getting plenty of help right now. The reason you don't see a better GUI on SQ8L is apparently because they're working on a paid for "pro" version (with a much improved user interface) and it'll likely have some more features than the free version too.

• Members

junory3.jpg

Nice, Don ...

A suggestion, though ... Photoshop the residual key lines off Mariah's face (smaller image) ... With images, IMO, the human face should be considered sacred and not violated in any way (unless, of course, you're trying to make some kind of statement) ...

• Members

junogj2.jpg

Hi D!

I forgot to enable the the layer mask. I fixed it now.

:wave:

is it just me or is she gaining enough weight to be in drew carey territory?

and as far as juno emulation...

the supernova II is really close even on the chorus part. software not so much and that reaktor ensemble blows ass as far as usability. i loaded it once and after 10 minutes unloaded it never to repeat the bad experience. but that pretty much sums up my reaction to reaktor. nice idea, over-engineered to the point of boredom. for a mi company engineer or synth designer it is a great prototyping tool. for a tweak head it makes a nice toy to mess with for hours. for making music it's a time waster and a pain in the ass to get anything done. compare it to vaz modular, or tassman or even massive and you'll see where i'm going. you can get the same things done synth wise and effect processing wise with other software in fractions of the time reaktor takes. if i want effect mangling i go to cool edit pro. if i want synth building from scratch or to make a custom 20 band vocoder i use vaz. either are an order of magnitude quicker to work in and in the case of cool edit mangling goes a lot further and in the case of vaz the oscs and filters sound better than reaktor's.

Archived