Oberheim OB-8 MIDI question

orinoco

• Members

Just wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.

I have an Oberheim OB-8 and I want to be able to play it as part of a MIDI setup. However it only receives in omni on mode and so is unable to recognize data on a single MIDI channel. My question is are there any devices on the market that can filter the other MIDI channels so the OB-8 only responds to data on one channel. I know that Philip Rees used to make a device that did this and also there was another called the Micro MIDI filter both of which are no longer in production, are there any others? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Members

Just wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.

I have an Oberheim OB-8 and I want to be able to play it as part of a MIDI setup. However it only receives in omni on mode and so is unable to recognize data on a single MIDI channel. My question is are there any devices on the market that can filter the other MIDI channels so the OB-8 only responds to data on one channel. I know that Philip Rees used to make a device that did this and also there was another called the Micro MIDI filter both of which are no longer in production, are there any others? Any advice would be appreciated.

If it is a factory midi kit, my suggestion is to find an instruction manual for the kit. The OB-8 can be set to poly mode.

• Members

If it is a factory midi kit, my suggestion is to find an instruction manual for the kit. The OB-8 can be set to poly mode.

Yes, that's what I've heard too. The only OB-8 manual I can find is for one of the early models which had no factory MIDI fitted and so obviously no mention is made.

Anybody out there know how to put the OB-8 into poly mode?

• Members

Thanks for that. You've just saved me a load of cash. Much appreciated.

It also allows you to put the upper and lower on different channels, which a filter will never do. Always best to use a toll you already have. :)

• Members

You need to get into page two to change the midi settings. Does your system not have the page two functions silkscreened on the front panel? Some early OB8's did not have this along with units that had midi retrofitted.

Its been a long time since I've used an OB8 but if I remember correctly holding the unison button down for a few seconds will put you in page two functions, then the "Group C" button will turn omni mode on/off. Selecting one of the program number buttons (1-8) selects the midi channel. Hope that helps (and works).

Archived