Fantom G demos

• Members

I'm okay with the missing hard drive. Lets people fill the gap with the size drive they need, and transport it seperately to minimize risk of damage.

Would love to try one, but the local shop doesn't have them in yet. They usually run a month or two behind (sigh.)

Is Mammoth Music going to be carrying these?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is Mammoth Music going to be carrying these?

I was there on Monday - they said that they will eventually, but no one could tell me when. I hit a bunch of wrong notes on the Motif XS8 instead. You a townie?

• Members
SRX-07 and SRX-03 are in my shopping list... PM me if you decide to sell.

What is the Classic Keys? Isn't that a PC2 card?

Classic key is the SRX-12 card the latest and greatest EPs out there yummmmm!!!!!!:idea:

I will be looking to get the G7 in a couple months and will let you know.

• Members
Classic key is the SRX-12 card the latest and greatest EPs out there yummmmm!!!!!!
:idea:

I will be looking to get the G7 in a couple months and will let you know.

Ah! You mean the Classic EPs! :idea:
I really got confused there for a second because Kurz has a card called Classic Keys.

• Members

Ok, today I read the current Fantom G reviews here on Harmony-Central and they say the keyboard is basically useless. Both people who reviewed it (one G6 and one G8) hinted that they'll basically just get rid of it. One gave the sound a 2 out of 10. Both said the OS isn't ready yet. They seem to imply that the lack of an undo function added to the envelope and effect changes being applied to the entire patch lists make the board basically useless for anyone that's not a preset bunny.
To the people here who own it... is it that bad????:poke:

• Members

I would take those reviews with a grain of salt ... sound 2 out of 10? ... that's just ridiculous ...

As to whether one needs to rush out and buy one ...That's another matter ...

I don't even think I'll consider one until it gets its V2 OS upgrade ... But I think there could be a major hardware update as well which will include more sound ROM ...

I "love" Roland's promo material for the Fan-G in the GC catalog ... says it has double the wave capacity of the Fan-X ... um, try 2/3rds the wave rom of a fully expanded Fantom X ... (the Fan-G has twice the STANDARD wave rom ...)

• Members
I would take those reviews with a grain of salt ... sound 2 out of 10? ... that's just ridiculous ...

I don't even think I'll consider one until it gets its V2 OS upgrade ... But I think there could be a major hardware update as well which will include more sound ROM ...

I "love" Roland's promo material for the Fan-G in the GC catalog ... says it has double the wave capacity of the Fan-X ... um, try 2/3rds the wave rom of a fully expanded Fantom X ... (the Fan-G has twice the STANDARD wave rom ...)

Considering I have a Fantom XR, the G has 1/2 the wave capacity that I can get with that :) With just two cards installe, I've already got the same 256Mb the G has... and I already know what 4 cards I want... (Studio, Symphonic Strings, Ultimate Keys and World Collection). I think there will be a lot of repetitions in there though (how many unused EP and piano waves am I going to end up with, only God knows).

If they get a synth ARX card going though, something like a VA engine, that would obviously make the G extremely attractive...

But yeah, I definitely don't think the G sounds a 2 out of 10... and the bugs shouldn't be something that would take that long for a company like Roland to fix.

• Members

Just don't think Roland is under ANY obligation to fix or change ANYTHING ... they are a very quiet corporation and don't seem to relish feedback from actual customers ...

Even if something is patently bogus

• Members

Well, that's good to hear about the multisampling ... that's a pretty serious omission for a "workstation."

Though I still don't know why anyone in this age of the upgradeable OS would rush out and buy one of these products ... Can you say, I paid for the privilege of being a beta tester ... ?

• Members

I was there on Monday - they said that they will eventually, but no one could tell me when. I hit a bunch of wrong notes on the Motif XS8 instead. You a townie?

I used to live in Los Anchorage. Moved farther up north a few years back, but Anchorage is the closest place with anything resembling a pro-audio shop. I'm far from their biggest fan (I was treated rather poorly by the owner the last time I was there

• Members

Just don't think Roland is under ANY obligation to fix or change ANYTHING ... they are a very quiet corporation and don't seem to relish feedback from actual customers ...

At least in the Roland VG-99 community, we're lucky to have a few individuals who have the ear of folks at Roland. Not everything gets through all the time, but it's uncanny how closely the VG-99 feature set follows the community wishlist from earlier VG's.

• Members

Ditto, I will be waiting for V2 before I purchase, I forgot you need time for the bugs to be worked out. ChristianRock it may be a while before I part with those SRX cards....

• Members

I want to say something as a matter of fact but opinions are subject to questioning the observations of the person's point of view. I mean to say that

the Fantom G is NOT a great board- rather a filler, and after careful analysis of the G I conclude that IT is a polished Fantom X....

In other words it's what the Fantom X should have been. In all seriousness The live mode features don't mean anything to me, just like karma (for example) does nothing for me from Korg. I want

-playable sounds

-realistic sounds

Hell, even a cheaper keybed doesn't deter me from buying a board because to me, and I know this may sound funny but again, to ME it's all about the sounds....THE sounds ARE more refined, this is true. Do they have depth of high definition synthesis? -NO, and not even close.

I think they had left over parts from the 80's and used them for the tempo meter. The Keybed is magnificent! It truly feels the best, but I think the Developers at Roland felt they needed the best Keybed to make the player THINK (ala placebo ) make them think that the sounds are better because the keyboard feels so good. I have one of the best ears when it comes to music.

The EP's are finally decent, short of exceptional IMO.

I do like the piano's. Sonically they don't cut it, but the overtones sound right, and it plays like a real piano...

TO test this do a tritone, or arpeggio with the same 1, 3, 5 major and minor, and do this from right to left, and vice versa...You will note how the Fantom HAS consistent tonality, the XS does NOT.

There are few variables in the piano sounds, but the mid section of the piano IS better than the Motif XS. With the Motif XS it sounds like they are using PCM on the mid section, the highs are better on the XS than on the Fantom G, but the low end for the XS is pretty piss poor, while the G isn't.

The Spanish Guitars were tweaked....

HOwever the Acoustic Guitars are pretty bad! -There were no changes I could hear other than the EQ, or perhaps the Digital to Analog converters are better on the G which is why there are differences. Overall unimpressed...

While I wasn't looking for a revolutionary board in the Fantom G, I was looking for NEW sounds, but I guess they want to milk it with the same presets "tweaked" with added SRX sounds here and there, than redevelop, and sample NEW instruments....

Verdict: IF you have the money, and it is no object the G is a better Fantom X, but it isn't a different board as we were led to believe!

With the Motif XS, at least you get sounds from the Tyros line.

If you play Spanish Guitar well on a keyboard the Motif XS is a must!

The piano isn't that good on the XS, but the other sounds make up for it, and them some...

If you don't have the money learn to tweak your Fantom X, and save your money! Something better will come along, the Fantom G isn't IT.

Archived