Original marshall Guv'nor-Tell me about it

grunge782

• Members

I had an original UK Guv'nor and got rid of it because the GV-2 I have is just as good if not a little better sounding to me.

Also, at least part of the sound you're after has do to the sound of a 4x12 cab thumping away.

I have the same exact 4x12 they use (Mills Acoustics Afterburner) and V30's in it like they use.

I really need to go try one of them out and see how I like it. I think they even discontinued the GV-2 though.

• Members

I didn't own them at the same time, but they sound similar enough that I can't see a reason to justify paying almost 3x for the old one. From that video you posted, I get really similar guitar tones with a Sovtek Mig50 and the GV-2. Like really close. Like spot on to me. But I'm drunk and deaf.

Sounds good enough to me to give the GV-2 a whirl first.

• Members

i've got the guv'nor mkI (uk). it's a great pedal, like a proco rat but more definite. it is more dry but full anyway.

i never tried the gv-2.

nels cline, however, said:

ProCo Rat has been modified for a little extra poop. The LED is now yellow. The sound is not as fabulous as my old Marshall Guv'nor, but I'm adjusting. Note: Why, when these companies "reissue" things (like the Guv'nor) are they NOTHING like the original??!?!?!??!

Well the original seems killer no doubt:thu: Thanks for that description that helps.

I'm just aching to give the GV-2 a shot too you know:)

My wallet would certainly appreciate it more.

Archived