MPC advice: Upgrade my 2000xl or swap for 1000???

• Members

So I love my MPC... a LOT. But it's just old enough that integrating it into my setup is sort of a pain in the ass. I really like some of the features of the 1000, such as the effects and the USB/card reader, but the layout just seems too mushed together...

My current MPC is a 2000xl w/ 32mb of ram and an external Zip. Would it be worth buying an internal card reader, the effects card ad maybe the 8-out, or just picking up a 1000?

A 2500 would be out of the question.. I love my MPC, but I don't have that kind of cash....

• Members

stick w/ your 2000xl, unless you like learning new machines and reading manuals is fun to you.

2500 has known issues with line amps. bad news.

1k is really unintuitive if you are coming from 2kxl.

best of luck.

ps-installing an internal zip drive is really cheap and easy, if you are handy. recommended-it runs much smoother, for me at least.

• Members

I wouldn't want an internal zip, I'd like a standard card reader. The 8 outs would be nice too, but not really needed as I don't even have that many inputs for my audio card, even with a patchbay it would just be too much not used.

I would like the effects card, but I have never used the 2000xl with an effects card, are the effects useable or interesting? Is there a bit of variety in the effects? Are they run with CC control or can the parameters of them be sequenced?

I know the 1000 has it's own OS, but really, and I don't get this, is a lot of the functions, like filter cut off, type, resonance, amp envelops, these things should be controlled via MIDI and are not, so unless they are in that new OS, I don't really care, I don't use my MPC for loops or anything, just sample hits, so I don't really care about the time stretch features and all of that....

I love the way my 2000xl feels, I know where everything is and how to get to every menu easily, the 1000 just feels so crammed... but it does have some really nice features that make it much more compatible and useable with other gear, such as the USB and effects card...

• Members

I wouldn't want an internal zip, I'd like a standard card reader.

No problem!

http://home.tiscali.nl/~smeyer/mpc/ has instructions and links on where to buy the reader.

I would like the effects card, but I have never used the 2000xl with an effects card, are the effects useable or interesting?

I think the keyword is "usable" with a strong emphasis on "bread & butter".

• Members

Better a 2500 model. The 1000 is great especially with the JJ OS but if your thinking long term, Akai doesn't support units with the JJ OS.

The 2500's are bound to drop in price with the new 5000 showing up. The 5000 almost had me gassing for it and then I snapped out of it. :D

• Members

I have a couple, most likely dumb, questions about MPC's.

1. Can you do normal drum machine-style step-sequencing, like place exactly on beat where you want certain drums to come in? Meaning, for example, putting a bass drum on the first step, a snare on the 9th, and a hi-hat on the first, fifth, ninth, and 13th. Cause that's a hot beat right there.

2. How well does the MPC function as a controller for soft drum programs like Battery and Ableton Live and Reason's respective drum machines? Seems like it would almost be the perfect one, but I'm just curious.

I was initially leaning towards getting an MC-909 or a RS7000 but after messing with an MPC recently (just playing basic beats with my fingers), it seems like the most fun music instrument ever.

• Members

I have a couple, most likely dumb, questions about MPC's.

1. Can you do normal drum machine-style step-sequencing, like place exactly on beat where you want certain drums to come in? Meaning, for example, putting a bass drum on the first step, a snare on the 9th, and a hi-hat on the first, fifth, ninth, and 13th. Cause that's a hot beat right there.

On the 2500 - yes, by default. On the 1000, yes, if you've installed the JJ OS. On the 2000XL and earlier: no.

2. How well does the MPC function as a controller for soft drum programs like Battery and Ableton Live and Reason's respective drum machines? Seems like it would almost be the perfect one, but I'm just curious.

It depends completely on how you set it up. You can use the pads to mute/unmute tracks (this can be done too on the MPC itself), and you can use it for percussion - it's just that Live's "Impulse" (drum sampler) plugin only has 8 pads instead of 16.

Guest Anonymous

The cool thing about the 2000XL is it has standard floppy, IDE and SCSI computer connectors in side it. This means any older computer storage device will probably work in it. My first XL had a floppy drive that I switched out for a 250mb IDE zip drive and my second XL was a factory MCD version. After you put a internal card reader in your XL it will be a lot cooler of a machine. No more external SCSI. Yuk. To me the internal efects are no big deal since everything I do is tracked out into a computer to me mixed anyway. If you use your XL for live stuff the effects card will work for basic efx. I don't use MPC's to play pre made wav loops and only use one shot drums/precussion and hits so 32 mgs was no problem. I have hundreds of one shots in my 2500 and am using about 20mbs which add up to about 20mbs. I had a 1000 for moble use and the small pads were it's down fall tome. The cool thing was switching over to a 2500 was easy after using a 1000. The main reason I switched over to a 2500 was for the 4 midi outs. The usb is cool but, grabbing a small data card and sticking it in your computer to add wavs is not a big deal.

Here is my XL before I sold it. I added black or blue buttons and black knobs and pads to it. I really hated to part with it but, just didn't use it anymore.

:cry:

akaimpc2kxlbluebw8.jpg

• Members

The 1000's pads weren't TERRIBLE, it's just the interface is SO compact everything is on top of everything else. For me, the 2000xl and other "regular" MPC's are very fluid, no real need for "shift +...." or whatever to do something, everything pretty much has a button and it's laid out logically.

I'd love a 2500 but that isn't happening, I'm jonesin too hard for a MachineDrum to drop that cash on MORE MPC... Mostly I just use the MPC for sequencing, but it's such a pain to utilize my GIGS worth of drum samples on my computer. I have a lOT of very good sounds that I like using, but I don't ever use them all at one time, so 32mb is pretty much fine for me. I don't think I've ever gotten to a point where I ran out of memory... I also build a lot of my own beat/grooveboxes with Reaktor and other programs, so a lot of the crazy stuff isn't needed.

I think for now I will just upgrade to the MCD card reader, and see how that goes. I do use my MPC more live than as a studio tool, so I'd like to pick up the effects card, even just to color my sounds a bit. I'm very ok with Lo-Fi effects, the kind of stuff I do with my MPC, I'm ok cheesy effects, I mostly just need some modulation, distortion and reverbs.

I'd love to hear samples of the effects card though so if anyone has any links online they would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for the card reader, a place to purchase, what brand, I remember reading that only certain card readers would work, if anyone has any info on that, I'm all ears.

One last thing, anyone know anything about adding an ADAT output to a 2000xl? I'd like the extra outputs but I don't have anymore physical inputs on my audio card/mixer, so I'd have to pick up an ADAT expander thingy, but if I could add ADAT right out of the box... mmmm...

• Members

I put a card reader in my MPC 2000xl that I bought if from MPCstuff.com It was a bit expensive and was out of stock at first, but he claims it is direct parts from Akai and it was easy to install. No mods, just plug and play. Totally worth it. I considered eight outs, but it would seem like a better use of my money to buy a rack sampler with more features rather than upgrade the mpc. I don't need that many channels of drums. My mixer is out of channels as it is. I might buy the effects just for the heck of it though.

• Members

MANNNNNNN!!!!! Upgrade your 2000XL, I almost made the same mistake and purchased the 1000 thinking I would sell my 2000XL, the 1000 did not last 2 weeks with me, it was well worth it to add more memory, the multi drive and the 8 outs........

The multi drive cost me about $225.00 (price may be lower now) not bad check out:

Virtual Sounds Technology

626-794-8196 Ext. 103

www.vstservice.com

akaipro@vstservice.com

They are the factory service center and they got me all squared away quick.

I do not plan on leting go of my 2000XL it is so dependable, I am looking at the 2500 for later on in the year as I saw many of the new features but the 2000XL is here to stay for now maybe even if I upgrade to the 2500. It is a work horse I am happy with.

Archived