RAT Question

Amiller1121

• Members
I never liked the gain on my RAT past about 10:00
:idk:

It's real picky with different guitars. It can get really shrill, for sure. My strat loves it so long as the filter is also cranked up high with the distortion.

FWIW, I run two rats, one at settings D: 9 o'clock F: maxed V: slight boost, the second D: 1-2o'c F: same V: slight boost.

Both together gets great saturation on the strat.

• Members

rats are cool, I agree on keeping the gain low because they sound like a 10 cent fuzz turned up. I have an early 80's, an early Turbo Rat and a 91 Vintage RI, all cool but suck a lot of bottom end, which is one of my gripes with them.
I don't think JB uses them anymore, not positive though. I associate his tone more with a tonebender, that's what I'd be looking for.

• Members

rats are cool, I agree on keeping the gain low because they sound like a 10 cent fuzz turned up. I have an early 80's, an early Turbo Rat and a 91 Vintage RI, all cool but suck a lot of bottom end, which is one of my gripes with them.

I don't think JB uses them anymore, not positive though. I associate his tone more with a tonebender, that's what I'd be looking for.

Really? It doesn't sound like he's using a fuzz on the tones I'm looking for, but I may be mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_TdkLwQUQs

Those are specifically what I'm looking for.

• Members

Really? It doesn't sound like he's using a fuzz on the tones I'm looking for, but I may be mistaken.

Those are specifically what I'm looking for.

you're on the right track with the RAT because he used them. I think it was a very small part to the equation though. he hasn't used them in years as far as I can tell. he just uses a DSL50 with no drive pedals, form the searches I've done. with him it's all right hand, and pinky volume control etc. possibly the most difficult player one could ever want to emulate.

certain fuzz pedals used in a low gain setting, blow away what my RATs can do. I just got a Monsterpiece NPN (fuzz) and I use it like an overdrive, very sweet.

• Members

Oh yeah, I definitely know it's a lot of finger technique. I was playing around with my crunch box and finger picking, and I came close, but something was missing. I do need to experiment with a lot of fuzz pedals. I've never really played with any except a USA Big Muff Pi. Thanks for the advice

Archived