Dave Matthews

orangesix

• Members

its all the same. go drink a Zima...

I dont know man.. My buddy used to front a DMB tribute band.. asked me to fill in. I play death metal to jazz, and Dave's {censored} is a bitch to learn. Odd arrangements, odd times, strange broken chords, metric modulation all over the place.. Makes most metal look like cakewalk.

Not my cup of tea, but to denounce it cuz its not brootz or indie is silly.

BTW, I normally hate the trust-fund wannabe hippie/fratguy crowds who dig Dave, but the band is pretty amazing and technical.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont know man.. My buddy used to front a DMB tribute band.. asked me to fill in. I play death metal to jazz, and Dave's {censored} is a bitch to learn. Odd arrangements, odd times, strange broken chords, metric modulation all over the place.. Makes most metal look like cakewalk.

Not my cup of tea, but to denounce it cuz its not brootz or indie is silly.

BTW, I normally hate the trust-fund wannabe hippie/fratguy crowds who dig Dave, but the band is pretty amazing and technical.

i think i said a few times in this thread that i agree with the technically profecient part. I could care less about that. Yngwie has skill and he's still an assclown. The guy studying guitar at school can play really well, but doesn't know {censored} about music..

and i'm not big into the brootz at all...

• Members

The guy has some great music and excellent performances...I typically think most people on this forum hate anything remotely popular in any version of the mainstream, everyone's so uber indie lmao

i like some "popular" mainstream band:

Flaming Lips

Wu-Tang

Nirvana

Beck

Sonic Youth

• Members

And anyone who considers what his fans look like annoyingly miss the point will never get why DMB was a good band. But thats ok.

Oh, and Carter Beauford is a {censored}ing samurai on the drums.

This is the best post in this thread. 10-12 years ago, I was liked DMB. Saw them live a few times, and was blown away each time. Nice improv without over-noodling, lots of energy.

• Members

seen em this year. previous to that i saw em 8 times between 97 and 02

i just dont understand the hate. the music has a pop feel to it, yes, but that doesnt mean it should be disregarded.
I dont like the closed minded attitude around here sometimes.

Its "cool" to hate on DMB, and its "cool" to love Radiohead, and its "cool" to diss John Mayer, and its "cool" to like whatever band only indie-heads have even heard of, etc, etc.

jeez guys... as time goes on, the more it seems a lot of you get all :
:lem::lem::lem::lem::lem::lem::lem::lem::lem::lem:

• Members

Its "cool" to hate on DMB, and its "cool" to love Radiohead, and its "cool" to diss John Mayer, and its "cool" to like whatever band only indie-heads have even heard of, etc, etc.

quoted for mother {censored}ing truth

• Members

seen em this year. previous to that i saw em 8 times between 97 and 02

i just dont understand the hate. the music has a pop feel to it, yes, but that doesnt mean it should be disregarded.

it was just a ploy to find out who all the bros were on HCFX.

• Members

i like some "popular" mainstream band:

Flaming Lips

Wu-Tang

Nirvana

Beck

Sonic Youth

Even though all of those are bands with large followings, I would say the only two "mainstream" bands on that list are the Wu Tang Clan and Nirvana. The average person probably hasn't heard a Flaming Lips, Beck or Sonic Youth song, at least knowingly, and the majority couldn't even name one. Hell, most would be hard pressed to tell you their favorite Wu-Tang song.

• Members

Even though all of those are bands with large followings, I would say the only two "mainstream" bands on that list are the Wu Tang Clan and Nirvana. The average person probably hasn't heard a Flaming Lips, Beck or Sonic Youth song, at least knowingly, and the majority couldn't even name one. Hell, most would be hard pressed to tell you their favorite Wu-Tang song.

I'm going to have to disagree. Anyone who listens to music SHOULD know who Beck is, and i think all of those groups are very "mainstream".

Archived