Modding my H2O to work with high gain

petejt

• Members

You see, I really like using modulation with high gain, and I prefer it in front of the amp rather than the effects loop.

After all the methods I have tried so far, I always turn back to my H2O. But I get finicky about how its Delay Time control alters the tone of the processed signal. I've tried using an EQ pedal with it but it hasn't improved the situation too much. Either the tone becomes to nasal or the low end is mucked up somehow, basically I lose some of the punch from my original tone, that low end chunk.

I'm thinking about getting my H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo pedal modified, so it can work better with distortion.

I really do not want to buy more gear- I have enough as it is, and want to keep the H2O.

I'm not sure exactly what would need modifying though, so I please ask for your help.

• Members

I don't know what you could really do to make it sound better out front.

Any EQing would change the character of your gain.

Why don't you like running it in the effects loop?

Because it doesn't do what I want it to do. I am not after the 1980s-style doubling chorus of guitars sound that you get when using a chorus in the effects loop.

I like how the sound gets modulated to give this strange complex character, the thing is that it tends to dominate the sound. So I am asking what can I do so the H2O only choruses part of the signal, or whatever to make it work with high gain.

I tried running two amps in stereo- the MarkIV dry, another amp wet, and it didn't produce the result I was after. The H2O still affects the dry signal tone-wise.

• Members

The tone change probably has to do Visual Sounds buffer, which version is this? Is it V1 witht he blue on the knobs? or V1.5 with the White on the knobs or the new V2 which should of solved your problem with the lush switch.

I hate to say it but, I barely run the Chorus into High Gain its better suited for cleans 100 fold but I can see your problem which is probably why I opted to never use it on dirt.

Try contacting Visual Sound and ask them how you can perhaps put the Lush switch in, if its an older model

I think on the new ones the Lush switch tames the Chorus channel which is already pretty damn present, I think theres a volume boost in there too but compared to other Chorus pedals ive played I dont mind as they all seemed to have a volume drop

• Members

I hate to say it but, I barely run the Chorus into High Gain its better suited for cleans 100 fold but I can see your problem which is probably why I opted to never use it on dirt.

Try contacting Visual Sound and ask them how you can perhaps put the Lush switch in, if its an older model

I think on the new ones the Lush switch tames the Chorus channel which is already pretty damn present, I think theres a volume boost in there too but compared to other Chorus pedals ive played I dont mind as they all seemed to have a volume drop

I've tried other methods and out of all of them, the H2O has the best sound, despite the issues I have with it. You see I use my Electric Mistress for the chorused clean tone, and if I want a really exaggerated flanged distorted chorus sound, I can use it for that as well.

But since I want a chorusey-type sound as part of my main sound, it can't be too exaggerated, yet not too light either. I want some darkness there.

I used to use my TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger for distorted chorus, which did the chorusing right, but I got sick of the slick 80s-type sound it has. It tends to brighten the signal a little bit, which to me makes the tone a bit thin and scooped. The H2O sounds warmer and richer.

I'll look into the Lush switch mod, thanks for the suggestion.

• Members

this may be a bit elaborate but maybe try splitting the signal with a crossover, chorusing one part then blending it back together. That way you have the same chorus but it's only working on the freqs you want it to.

Some bass stuff has this built in so it does,t {censored} with the low end.

Dunno if that's what you want.

• Members

this may be a bit elaborate but maybe try splitting the signal with a crossover, chorusing one part then blending it back together. That way you have the same chorus but it's only working on the freqs you want it to.

Some bass stuff has this built in so it does,t {censored} with the low end.

Dunno if that's what you want.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks. :thu:

What frequency threshold would the crossover be?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived